Thread: Hello, new to Savage...l have Q's regarding Mark II Series

SixShooterFan

Hello, new to Savage...l have Q's regarding Mark II Series

Hello,

I am new to this forum and new to Savage.

I am looking at the Savage website at the Mark II Series.

I am a bit confused at the naming. Are all the Mark IIs essentially the same but have different choices of stock?

My needs are very simple
    1) I am part of a club that has monthly 100yrd 22lr competion as well as plate shooting. I would like to participate
    2) I love to shoot at various outdoor targets so this would be a cheap plinking rifle as well
    3) The most hunting I will be doing is Rabbit, Squirrles and Racoons and because we have enough land, an occasional Turkey should he and I be at the right spot during the approved season (it is an opportunistic hunt)

I was draw to Savage because of the accuracy claims and the accutrigger and from reviews on other websites.

I would actually purchase the rifle today or tomorrow but was wondering if one modle is better than another.

I am partial to the Mark II G because of the wood stock although the fluted barrel on the BRJ is darn sexy!

Any help you can give me would be appreciated

Thanks

JamesD

Re: Hello, new to Savage...l have Q's regarding Mark II Series

They have different choices of stocks and barrels. Dick's Sporting Goods has a special right now in some areas, heavy fluted barrel, scope, Accutrigger and synthetic stock for $249. Can't beat that deal.

James

SixShooterFan

Quote Originally Posted by JamesD
    They have different choices of stocks and barrels. Dick's Sporting Goods has a special right now in some areas, heavy fluted barrel, scope, Accutrigger and synthetic stock for $249. Can't beat that deal.

James
    Ugh, if it was actually available in my area!

Anyway, can I swap a regular barrel for a fluted one?

JamesD

If you mean do a barrel sway then yes but it would cost more to do that than to just buy one. Also you would have to get a new stock since the barrel is larger in diameter.

James

SixShooterFan

Quote Originally Posted by JamesD
    If you mean do a barrel sway then yes but it would cost more to do that than to just buy one. Also you would have to get a new stock since the barrel is larger in diameter.

James
    Got it, thank you. That is the info I was looking for.

Hello,
    I am new here as well, but, I'm not new to savage rifles. I have a savage MK ii that I use once a week at an informal 50 yard 22 BR match. The MK ii, at least mine, can be astoundingly accurate, or not. It lacks consistency, And no, it's not me. My Unproven theory is that the problem is the accutrigger. I arrive at that conclusion based on the issues I had with my M12 BVSS .223. I purchased the .223 used, at an estate sale. My first trip to the range was extremely disappointing. I had a lot of "misfires", Light primer strikes, even with the 3 different kinds of ammo I had with me. the average group was in the 1.25 ball park.. I was not very impressed. after a little research I found some references to the Accutrigger causing such problems. I replaced it with a rifle basix trigger set at about 1.5 pounds and the results were phenomenal. It shot all 3 loads I tried previously into groups that hovered around .500, and I haven't had a misfire since.

Does this mean my MK ii has the same issue? No, but I have seen some hokey stuff that doesn't make any sense.

In all fairness, I lost the end of my trigger finger in an accident years ago. The part of my finger that rests on the trigger is scar tissue. I have no idea if that affects anything or not..

Anyway, good luck, happy shooting

Basic Member
    It's my opinion that the MKII's are all the same different livery. I'd get the most reasonable priced MKII with a synthetic stock and work on it to your desire. You may want a custom stock later if you can get it where you like it. There are some small issues with the MKII, but nothing that good consistency can't get around. I got a BVTSS and the bore looked like it was tapped, not lapped and I sent it back, they sent me a new one which was much better and shoots much better. What I don't like about mine is the Boyds stock, very loose, the bolt has to be consistently used or I have FTF, the chamber is not very tight. But it shoots almost as good as anything else I have with only a few boxes through it so far. I though I needed it at the time, but I enjoy my Rem 513T more except for the trigger.