Thread: Introduction and an interesting occurance with a 116fhss

ChadH

Introduction and an interesting occurance with a 116fhss

Hi everyone! I'd like to introduce myself. I have been lurking for awhile and am very impressed with the amount of information you all so freely share here. I have recently moved from Missouri to Western WA, and am kind of in the process of reevaluating the guns I have in the safe. Well... the wife says there are to many but I personally see a few slots yet to be filled. ;D Anyway, I was checking the scope zero on my .270 116 FHSS once we got settled in here and had a case split on me. It was factory Federal premium 150 grain Sierra GK. Here is a picture of the split case:

This is a shot of the primer:

When the case split the brass was stuck in the chamber, the extractor was moved off the bearing it sits on and wouldn't grab the shell. I was able to disassemble and fix it. I absolutely love the way this gun shoots. This is a three shot group at 100:

It shoots those groups all day long.... if you let the barrel cool between groups.

Anyway, out of curiosity, has anyone else had this happen with Federal ammo? SHould I be concerned? I called Federal, they wanted all the ammo I had of that lot and the split brass, and replaced it with two new boxes. I was satisfied with their customer service, but still... it would be nice to know this was a freak thing.

Chad

Basic Member

Re: Introduction and an interesting occurance with a 116fhss

Anomalies occur.

Federal brass is known to be a bit too soft.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

dcloco

Don't shoot any more ammo from that box. Call the manufacturer and advise what is going on. Bet they want to see this lot back.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

I had 2 - Fed / Premium (Vital Shok) .270 / 150gr. Nosler bullets blow the primers out & trash my bolt & ejector. When I emailed the company, they wanted the remaining ammo, bad cases, bill for bolt repair, etc...
    I said, there is none left, I have the cases & I fixed the bolt. All I want is replacement & perhaps a little for my inconvenience.
    This happened approx. 2 months ago. I got their contact info from their website. Make sure you go to the Federal Pemium site. The regular Federal site didn't respond to my email.

They sent me 2 boxes of Fed Premium / Nosler & even paid the freight. (I absolutly love free stuff)

I've had trouble with reusing Federal brass so a little caution is the rule in my ammo room.

Good luck...
    Frank
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!