Thread: Special order process?

JasonNC

Special order process?

Can someone briefly explain how the special order process works? I am thinking about a LRH with camo stock. My main concern is price. Am I correct that you pay full MSRP to Savage when you special order a rifle? If that is the case it would hardly be worth the expense just to get a camo stock. I was hoping someone on the forum has been through the process before. Thanks.

hank440

Re: Special order process?

NO you don't pay full MSRP to savage, you pay nothing directly to Savage. You call Effie Sutherland and tell her what you want, she says yes or no and then quotes you full MSRP and sends the rifle to the dealer of your choice. The ACTUAL sale price is between you and your FFL dealer. ;D ;D

Basic Member

Confirming the process: My special order was basically the LRH in short action, but stainless without muzzle brake (24" result) and in snow camo (teenage bling).

The process started by confirming with the custom shop. Effie answered and made suggestions about stocks, barrel diameter, barrel length, etc. I was told for ordering purposes Savage would consider the rifle a Model 16, not LRH. At that point I figured it was best to use Savage vocabulary when submitting the order.

From the Savage Model 16 web page I copy pasted their table into a WORD .doc and amended it for my preferences (0.70" barrel diameter, snow camo, right hand, no cheek piece, detachable box magazine, accu-stock, 3 pound accu-trigger, etc) put my name & telephone on it. Then I took the spec sheet to my retailer who faxed it to Effie. That put everyone on the same page using Savage's terms. The retailer did all the tracking and Savage contact after that. Although tempted, I never called Savage after the order.

Price management worked out this way. The retailer works out price to you. For special orders my local retailer (Gander) asks for half down. Subsequent weeks I gave a little grocery money and had it paid for before the rifle arrived. Snow camo had moved out of the option category. But without snow camo I was afraid my son would not take me hunting when he old enough to drive, so, I never asked how much I paid for that.

JasonNC

Thanks hank440 and Kohler. It sounds like a fairly simple and straightfoward process. I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to pay MSRP! Hopefully I will make up my mind soon.

Basic Member

You can expect about a $200 premium above the base model price.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."