Thread: Carbon Arrows to stiffen forend on synthetic stock

Basic Member

Carbon Arrows to stiffen forend on synthetic stock

I have been looking for a SA cf stock with DBM for a while now and couldn't make my mind up. I stumbled on a Hogue overmold on Midway for $99. Took a chance, and it is actually a pretty decent stock. It has aluminum pillars, and the action and bottom metal all just dropped right in for a perfect fit. The only real issue I see is that the forend is rather flimsey. I know when I put a long varmint barrel on it with a bipod, its going to make contact at the end with the stock. I have read where folks have used carbon arrows and bedding compound to stiffen up the forend of a factory stock. Anyone that's tried this, were your results pretty good. It seems like a fairly easy fix. Any ideas or tips are very much welcome!! thanks

Basic Member

Re: Carbon Arrows to stiffen forend on synthetic stock

good to hear. thanks!

Basic Member

Do you have any pics of how to do it so it dosen't interfere w/ the barrel?

Basic Member

did you dremmel out the "ribs" in the stock, put the arrows shafts in, then expoxy the whole thing? It would seem to me that that would make it stifffer

Quote Originally Posted by savageboy
    did you dremmel out the "ribs" in the stock, put the arrows shafts in, then expoxy the whole thing? It would seem to me that that would make it stifffer
    That's the way I did it.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

thomae

What are the pros and cons of carbon arrows versus aluminum ones? Just wondering.
    I have some thick walled aluminum tubing that I was using to make Dillon-style primer pickup tubes. I wonder if that would work.

chemist1

I used an aluminum arrow and it worked okay. I found this the other day while I was searching for flush cups and it looks like it might be a good idea although I have not tried it. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_5/230395_.html&page=2

GotCox

Good stuff. Been hearing all kinds of talk about the flex of the savage stock and wondered what options there where if problems did persist. Right now my barrel is free floating all the way to the recoil lug, but with the addition of a bipod it is going to push it closer for sure. Not that i have had a problem at this point, but i am glad there are things to do that can help, cause i like the stock.

I am thinking of doing two things to mine. One add a tool kit and cleaning kit inside the butt of the stock and possibly making built in magazine holders for spare mags.

Basic Member

Stevens 200 stock. I used a stiff aluminum tube from Home Depot, dremeled the ribs and the foregrip some and used Devcon. It made a huge difference in the stiffness. I also put some lead in the butstock and filled with the stuff used to seal holes (expanding foam) to add a little heft. Then Kryloned the whole thing in Camo. Cheap and worked well.

Netz