Thread: I need your help

bbradford71

I need your help

I took my new rifle to the range today after dropping the barreled action into a new B & C Medalist to get it zeroed in. I have a Vortex Viper mounded on it with a EGW Picatinny Rail 1 Piece Scope Mount (0 MOA) and a pair of Burris Xtreme Tactical 1" Rings. I took the rifle to the range today and attempted to bore sight it myself at 50 yards by looking through the bore and adjusting the turrets to get an approximate zero. What I discovered was that I do not have enough elevation in the scope to get a zero. After bottoming out with the elevation I decided to at least fire a few rounds to see where my actual point of impact was. I fired the first round and made the needed adjustments to get the wind-age dead on. I then fired three more shots and had a very tight sub 1/2 MOA group dead center but 11" low of the bull. I do not have any more vertical adjustment left to work with so I am now stuck. I know that this is probable a very simple fix for most of you but I am still rather new to this and have no clue what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance

Brent

Re: I need your help

What rail do your have, one piece or two?

If two piece mounts, swap them 180deg's if you can. Of course swap the one piece if you can.

I have swap the scope rings, front to back to correct similar situations.

One piece rail, you will need one with at least a 20deg (corrected-20MOA) offset, maybe more since yours is 11"'s low. That's a lot.

I am sure someone else will chime in, but maybe this will get your started.

[B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member

Have you tried swapping the rings around? Do you have any other rings that you can try?
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Grit #1

Put 20 thousands of shim stock under the rear of the mount. That with 20 minute ring insert (rear ring) should give you elevation to 600yds +. Years ago we did this with Silhoutte Rifles because the early Leupold K series Target Scopes did not have much elevation adjustment. No reason it shouldn't work for you.
    Best regards,
    Grit

Make sure your egw base is on the right way,nothing should be laying on the recoil lug.
    Also make sure your scope is 1" most of the Vipers are 30mm I believe.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

bbradford71

Thanks for the advice, I used an old set of rings and switched them out, that seems to have corrected the issue, I was able to look through the bore and adjust the turrets to where it has a good approx zero. I will head back out to the range tomorrow and see if in deed it has done the trick.

Basic Member

had these problems with 2 different savages send it back , they changed barrels on both

romulus

I'm sure you just accidentally said 20 degrees Dennis, but that would be 1200 MOA or 1256.6371 inches higher than "flat" @ 100 yards. You could really do some long range shooting with that :P

Glad to hear you most likely got it figured out. I put 20 or 40 moa tapered bases on all my rigs, but on my Rem 700 a 40 moa tapered base was too much for my setup combined with a 20 moa NF unimount - well to zero at 100 that is.

Let's see a target when you get everything lined out. If the situation is the same post a pic of your setup focusing on the base.

Romulus, you are correct, thanks.

20moa is exactly what I ment!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy

Make sure your egw base is on the right way,nothing should be laying on the recoil lug.
    Also make sure your scope is 1" most of the Vipers are 30mm I believe.
    +1 All of my Vipers are 30mm.

bbradford71

I am going to the range tomorrow to do a latter test, I will post pics of the groups once I get the ideal load.

Brent

Basic Member

I would replace the rings with Burris signature zee rings With these you can change the inserts to what ever degree you need.
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.