Thread: barrel swap questions??

huntinman57

barrel swap questions??

I might be able to pick up another savage stainless in .243 and would rather it be a .308. What am I looking at as far as cost to make this a .308? Would it be cheaper to just buy a new savage .308? This is also a older non accu trigger gun so Im guessing it will need a trigger job? Is the barrel swap easy and where is the cheapest place to get a different barrel?

Thanks in advance

huntinman57

Re: barrel swap questions??

I have even thought about buying a stevens .308 and just put a trigger on it and a boyds stock this might be the cheaper route. Or even buying a 10 package gun and toss the scope and rings. Which is my best bet? I have a savage 300wsm now that is a sweet shooter I just want something with cheaper ammo so I figured on a .308.

seanhagerty

You can change barrels easily yourself. All it takes is a barrel vise and a nut wrench. Will be an easy job, if you can change your oil, you can change barrels. Just follow instructions found on this website.

You can find a 308 barrel on here, just keep your eyes open and you will find one in a short period.

You probably wont need a trigger job, just because you changed barrels. You might WANT one, but thats a different story.

huntinman57

I guess you have to pay to look in the classifieds? What do these .308 barrel usually go for?

huntinman57

Also the only thing I will need is a barrel correct everything else is the same?

seanhagerty

A 243 should use the same bolt head as a 308, so yes, everything else is the same. If you are going to swap a barrel, also get a new recoil lug. It will help you in the long run.

huntinman57

Whats the best way for head space spent case or go gauge?

Cycler

Midway offers ER Shaw replacement barrels for Savage 10/110 based actions that come complete with the nut wrench and headspace gauges for $200 complete. All you need is a barrel vise and you are in business. Here is the link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/631...tainless-steel

huntinman57

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler
    Midway offers ER Shaw replacement barrels for Savage 10/110 based actions that come complete with the nut wrench and headspace gauges for $200 complete. All you need is a barrel vise and you are in business. Here is the link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/631...tainless-steel
    what kind of quality/accuracy are these?

Basic Member

There is an unfired stevens 308 win barrel for sell in the classified ads now $70
    To access the classifired you need to be a paid member
    It is the best $ I have spent to learn more about savage firearms
    The information you will gain here is amazing along with good deals from other members
    Jack

huntinman57

Dang 70 bucks seems cheap

ellobo

You can get a .308 barrel from Midway, Adams and Bennett barrels for $89. They are button rifled like Savage factory barrels. I have 2 and they both shoot sub MOA. A Boyds Prairie Hunter stock for less than $100, checkerd for $50 extra, they are pretty much drop ins and they do make them for the new centerfeed rifles.

El Lobo

Basic Member

Personl Message sent. IM sent

huntinman57

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    You can get a .308 barrel from Midway, Adams and Bennett barrels for $89. They are button rifled like Savage factory barrels. I have 2 and they both shoot sub MOA. A Boyds Prairie Hunter stock for less than $100, checkerd for $50 extra, they are pretty much drop ins and they do make them for the new centerfeed rifles.

El Lobo
    How are these prairie hunter stocks I have been looking at them or ft ross. do you know which is a heavier stock?

huntinman57

I would like to build my own for the experience but I guess it might be cheaper to just buy a stevens 200 but we will see what I can get the .243 first.

Basic Member

Just going through the same exercise, myself.
    Depends what type of barrel you want...
    My son has an 11 Hunter, but the factory contour barrel heats up too quickly for target shooting, so I'm upgrading his to a varmint contour...

I want one as well, but finding one- again, with a varmint contour, isn't cheap- you need a tactical model. So, I just purchased an FM Sierra (see my other post here) and I'm going to put a varmint/bull barrel on it. If I get into hunting at some point, I can just put the lightweight factory barrel back on the action, put it back into the lightweight stock- and BINGO- I have a mountain rifle again.

Gotta love Savage!

ellobo

I think the Ross is a tad lighter than the Prairie Hunter. My Mauser needs a new stock and it will be the Prairie Hunter with checkering.

El Lobo

ark1gas

I did a barrel swap with the ER Shaw in 7/08 and added a Boyds thumbhole. Shoots around .75 with the only load I've tried and I love the stock too. I didn't use a barrel vise I use an action wrench and a nut wrench. The nut wrench came with the barrel from Midway USA and I got the action wrench from them for about $60 I think.

Anyone know where the best instructions are,especially setting headspace?
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Anyone know where the best instructions are,especially setting headspace?
    Go to the start page of the Savage 110-based Centerfire rifles forum, at the top of the threads there are several topics that will cover your questions