Thread: Cleaned my Criterion

Basic Member

Cleaned my Criterion

Well after a 50 rd range session and another 20 sighting in a different scope I decided to clean my barrel just to see. Here is my disclaimer, I don't like cleaning until accuracy falls away and I don't break in barrels. I just loaded and shot.

I ran a couple patches of Hoppes 9 down the tube, then 2 dry patches, then 2 patches of Barnes CR-10. No copper fouling of any kind. Not even a hint of blue. I finished up with a few more of Hoppes then oil and dry patch. Cleaning solution is gonna last a long time with these results.

jinx-)

Re: Cleaned my Criterion

This is awesome! I had range session with my CBI barrel on Sunday and I fired 50 rounds through it, but mine is red inside. Maybe it has to do with bullet jackets, I was using Hornady A-Max and SST, Sierra SMK and PH, also Lapua Scenar. That was my 260 barrel, but I also shot my 6BR and it has no visible signs of copper, there is something about that 260, but it groups well.

Danley

Red? ???

jinx-)

I'll take a picture, I might be colorblind ;D

jinx-)

whatever color this is, its not stainless still

couldn't get focus here, battery died...

Looks like a bit of copper there but that should clean up quickly with a good copper remover.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

seanhagerty

Its alarming the first time you see that red color. It is copper. Use a copper remover and it will come right out. I use Gunslick foaming bore cleaner, and let it sit a bit. Over night if you want to. The stuff that comes out is BLUER than blue. You will be amazed.

Sean

jinx-)

I think its embedded copper, its like very thin coat, but I have no issues with accuracy. For copper removal I have KG-12 reserved, maybe I clean it after deer season is over...