Thread: Adding grip to synthetic stock

Basic Member

Adding grip to synthetic stock

Any suggestions for adding material to a synthetic stock? Need to add and shape a grip for a pistol project. This is for a light carry gun. Bondo, fiberglass, what?

Have one being made in wood for the bench pistol. A guy in Kingsport TN has a Dakota duplicating machine and is shaping one from the vlp. Will have to finish shape it to fit.

Basic Member

Re: Adding grip to synthetic stock

You mean like this?

The stock really wasn't hard to do. The pistol grip was a cheap AR-15 pistol grip that I ordered. Basically I cut the stock to make it look more like a 30-30 lever gun stock and bolted the pistol grip on the stock. I used glue and truck bed liner to help fill in the gaps and then sanded everything down. The sanding and filling process took several months of work, mostly due to me working and going to college. Cost in parts: $10.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

tyler.woodard04

Your going to want some internal structure molded in. Remember it is going to take all the recoil onto that conection point. I would figure how you want it to be shaped and mate it to the stock the use some aluminum through the entire grip and as far into the stock as possible. Either bedding compound or a strong exopy should be used to fill the gaps. Its going to be tough getting the strength dug to trigger location. What action you using a striker or another

Quote Originally Posted by psharon97
    You mean like this?

The stock really wasn't hard to do. The pistol grip was a cheap AR-15 pistol grip that I ordered. Basically I cut the stock to make it look more like a 30-30 lever gun stock and bolted the pistol grip on the stock. I used glue and truck bed liner to help fill in the gaps and then sanded everything down. The sanding and filling process took several months of work, mostly due to me working and going to college. Cost in parts: $10.
    Nice work homey!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

Using a left hand action, not a striker action. Needs to be molded and shaped into a pistol grip, no butt on the stock. Wood might work if it will bond to the plastic, mechanically and with filler/adhesive. Would bondo or fiberglass adhere? A tactical stock would work nicely, this is a factory one however.