Thread: Need help identifying an old Model 1899

merlindrb

Need help identifying an old Model 1899

Hi, a friend asked me to sell his Savage 99K for him on Gunbroker. I should mention that I'm a S&W collector so my knowledge of 99's is extremely limited. He brings me the rifle and tells me it's worth $4000. Ok.

In order to list the thing for him on Gunbroker I start looking up the Savage 99K and spot some possible problems. The rifle has a 20" barrel and a serial # 254XXX, neither of which stack up with what I can find on 99K's. It's chambered in 303 Savage. I'll try to post a pic or two as I know that will help. Before I list this I'd really appreciate any input you guys might have on it's authenticity as a 99K. If it's not a 99K then I don't want to describe it as such.

This is not an attempt to sell the gun - it's going on GB regardless. I just want to know that I'm not in danger of misleading anyone.

Many thanks.

Dave

99trix

Re: Need help identifying an old Model 1899

Is there engraving on the barrel? It is too early for a 99K and isn't a take down. Two missing items. I am thinking that it is a 99E with special order pistol grip, checkering and engraving. Very nice rifle!

merlindrb

Thanks for the input 99trix. I agree it's interesting. Strange that the engraving and checkering should so closely match that from the 99K though, considering this was manufactured 4/5 years before the 99K was developed.

Basic Member

I dont have the book on those but with that number i would say in the 1920's. that thing is old

99trix

That engraving pattern was used by Enoch Tue on his early rifles 1900 - 1917. He got absorbed into the factory during the war effort. There were a few that he engraved after WWI but not as many as prior. I believe that could be a Tue engraved rifle as Goff never took over the engraving until the start of the K in 1927 and that is about when Enoch Tue died. Very nice piece for any savage collection! Too bad I am in Canada! I'll scan a page from an early catalogue tonight and post it.

Basic Member

That IS a lovely old rifle.
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

99trix

Here is a scan from a 1908 Savage catalogue.

This is the very similar design to the engraving on the K and the simpilest design savage offered in 1908. The 99K is the only savage rifle not to have either Model 1899 or Model 99 on the rifle. As you can see on the receiver ring that one has Model 1899.

merlindrb

Thank you all for your input. I agree that it's an extremely interesting rifle.

And it is a high end collector gun.Have it appraised by someone you would trust.Tell them it is for insurance purpose so they wont get the itch to pressure you into thinking it is soemthing that it isnt.It is not forsale as far as you are concerned.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Your gun was made in 1923 which makes it a tue engraved gun.I would estimateits worth arund 3500.00.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

99trix

Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman
    Your gun was made in 1923 which makes it a tue engraved gun.I would estimateits worth arund 3500.00.
    I guess you don't watch GB

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=255355953