Thread: bolt disassembly problem

JaredCO

bolt disassembly problem

so I figured I would take my bolt apart today for fund sake. I did my research and got it figured out. I took the bolt out of the gun and got started. ??? Someone's broken off an Allen wrench in the baffle. Its one of the ball end types for hard to reach heads. It took awhile to figure out what it was but that's all I can come up with. I don't need to take it apart but I may at some point. Any ideas on how to get it out? It will move around there a little bit, fired tapping the bolt and prying it to no avail.

MrMajestic

Re: bolt disassembly problem

Your going to have to turn it in the opposite direction it was turning when it broke to get it released. Not knowing which way that was perhaps you can look with a loupe or magnifier of some type to determine by the alignment of the ball to the flats of the socket. Then using a sharp pin punch and small hammer attempt to return it into alignment to remove. Because of their construction when people use a cheater pipe and get medieval with them they actually set a burr below the top of the socket and become dog fast. Good luck and worse case you will damage the baffle when removing and must replace it. Hope this helps.

I'd probably drill it as big as I could then try to get a wood or drywall screw to take a bite and pull it out.

After that, I'd touch it with my tig torch and mash the pedal and then pull it out attached to my electrode.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

ellobo

If it is moving, try a magnet.

El Lobo

Basic Member

Are you sure it's a broke wrench? Did you uncock the bolt after you removed it?
    If your rifle has the cocking indicator that is what your seeing.

stangfish

Quote Originally Posted by thirty06
    Are you sure it's a broke wrench? Did you uncock the bolt after you removed it?
    If your rifle has the cocking indicator that is what your seeing.
    I have to laugh. This could happen to anyone who has never done it before.

JaredCO

Definitely a broken wrench , its harder than ****. None of my bits will even bite. Where do I get a new rear piece if I have to go to the nuclear option?

Basic Member

is this on the bolt assembly screw?
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Someone's broken off an Allen wrench in the baffle.

Was wondering the same thing. ??? There isn't an allen screw in the baffle.

stangfish

MrMajestic

Quote Originally Posted by JaredCO
    Definitely a broken wrench , its harder than ****. None of my bits will even bite. Where do I get a new rear piece if I have to go to the nuclear option?
    Notice I didn't say drill. ;D You could set it up in your mill and try a carbide end mill but the interrupted cut may break it.

JaredCO

Yes in the BAS. I'll try to get some pics up tommorow

powemaker

stangfish

I'm still tryig to grasp someone having the capacity to break off the long end of a ball headed allen wrench. I'm guessing 50 plus ft/lbs.

MrMajestic

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish
    I'm still trying to grasp someone having the capacity to break off the long end of a ball headed Allen wrench. I'm guessing 50 plus ft/lbs.
    I think it has nothing to do with capacity, it is leverage! A length of 3/8" pipe can reduce the effort required.

JaredCO

Here's some pics. My close-up fu is weak. Source for a new BAS? I was thinking the same as hi-tek

I'll get it out with my tig if you want to send it.

Or, you can get one from brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...EMBLY-SCREW-SS
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

MrMajestic

I believe that is do-able with an endmill and a ez-out. It will either release the ball or remove the nut. Got a mill?

stangfish

If you have a torch with a small tip you can aneal it and then drill or whatever. You might end up repainting it. An easy out might work depending on the direction you need to go if you just looking to get the ball end out. I have taken a tap and ground the threads off with an angle to grab in the direction I need to go for special jobs. Do not heat it or it will loose the temper. Grind and cool grind and cool.

MNbogboy

The pictures look like it could be plucked out with a needle nose but the internal burrs must be preventing that..Ball hex wrench was the wrong tool to begin with....probably the wrong size (too small)...some of these screws can be very tight....

Hi-tek has a the best plan remove and replace....

If in a pinch (during hunting season)...I would muscle out the screw with a "vise-grip" or small pipe wrench..or even a hammer & chisel...swallow my pride and file off the burrs...Then drill a small hole thru the BAS from the opposite side and drive the hex end out with a drift punch...fill the drilled hole with silicone and go hunting...

LabRat2k3

During hunting season if it was working I'd just leave it alone. There is time to work on this after the freezer is full. I think that I would just get a new BAS and do whatever it takes to get the old one out.

Basic Member

You guys have spent more time discussing this dilemma than it would have taken me to fix it.....using hi-teck's " lo tech" method. ;D
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

JaredCO

New Bas showed up today. Cut some flats and pull out the old, put in the new. Thanks fellas

stangfish

Quote Originally Posted by MrMajestic
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish
    I'm still trying to grasp someone having the capacity to break off the long end of a ball headed Allen wrench. I'm guessing 50 plus ft/lbs.
    I think it has nothing to do with capacity, it is leverage! A length of 3/8" pipe can reduce the effort required.
    My reference was mental not physical.