Thread: My new critter gitter

PKRobbins

My new critter gitter

Been lurking around here for a while and finally got my 1st Savage centerfire, a Model 12FCV in 22-250Rem. Knew I wouldn't have any time to go to the range through the week so I went ahead and took care of that shiny barrel with some Duracoat and did a krylon job on the stock.

Then I set a 4-12x40 Leupold VX-R on top, and a 25" Harris swivel bipod underneath.

Got to the range today, wow what a shooter here's the good.
    [img width=576 height=768]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/bjfergpls/IMG_0065.jpg[/img]
    4 groups of 3 each shot at 100 yards with Federal Premium V-Shock. Just using the bipod off the bench, no rear support.

Now for the Bad and the Ugly, had picked up some Hornady 55gr VMax Varmint Express to shoot as well. First shot was fine number two not so good.
    [img width=576 height=768]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/bjfergpls/IMG_0067.jpg[/img]
    Recoil felt like a 308, bolt was very stiff, case was stuck and had to be driven out with a cleaning rod and small hammer. The shot jacked up my extractor where it wouldn't pull brass out, I took it apart and got the piece of brass out from under it so that it pulls it back now, but it won't eject. It just drops the brass back in the rifle at the point it should be pitching it out the side.
    [img width=576 height=768]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/bjfergpls/IMG_0063.jpg[/img]
    What do I need to do with the bolt to get it ejecting again?

Re: My new critter gitter

First of all, don't shoot anymore of the Hornady 55g Varmint Express.

The second shot with that ammunition was way too hot and it probably drove the ejection pin down into the hole and over compressed the ejection spring. Does your ejection pin spring back up after you depress it? If not you will have to remove it and replace the spring.

PKRobbins

Ejector spring is toast, I took the bolt apart and its spring has sprung. I emailed Hornady about the hot ammo. Which of the guys that support this board would have the parts?

Numrich has them. Might as well order the ejector, spring, and pin and make it worth the shipping.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...aspx?catid=484
    Look on page 3.

gotcha

OUCH ! ....... Welcome aboard! Savage has the parts also. I ordered the parts you need plus a bolt face a couple months back. They quoted a week on delivery & I had them in three days. You did a nice job w/ the Krylon & Duracoat. Nice touch matching the rings & base w/ the bbl. +1 on WBM'S advice on getting all three parts. Let us know how Hornady handles the situation.

uad7116

That's werid becuase a month or so ago I sold a customer a savage axis in 22-250 and a box of hornady v-max's and his did the same exact thing except it was blowing primers out, he had me send it back to savage to have it checked out and it checked out fine. I also contacted hornady about the problem and sent in the ammo and they said it checked out alright ???, so in the end he quit shooting hornady ammo and he's been really happy with his rifle.

seanhagerty

WOW! I have always thought Hornady ammunition was a quality product. This disturbs me. I'm glad I reload.

Quickshot

I hope you get better results with Hornady than I did. Had trouble with a seating die and called in. The guy I talked to said they never had that kind of problem and I'd have to work it out for myself. Turned out the seater was the wrong one for 17 rem in the set. I had to reconfigure a 223 die to get it to work. Since then if it says Hornady on it I don't buy it. Nice job onthe stock and barrel. Quick