Thread: Red dot on 22 mag?

hevihitter

Red dot on 22 mag?

I bought a 93 f in 22 mag and didn't realize the rear sight would be in the way of my scope(40mm)so I took a red dot off a pistol I have.I was just wondering if any of you are using red dot sights on your 22 mag 17 hmr rifles.I'm going to give it a try this weekend until I can get taller rings or find a scope with a smaller objective.I only bought the gun because my friends son ask me to take him shooting for his bday and that is this weekend and i have no time to run around chasing parts.So is this going to work or should i just shoot it with iron sights.

janizary

Re: Red dot on 22 mag?

As long as you have a mount for it, it should work fine. A larger MOA dot will make longer-range shots a bit funky (due to the sheer size of the dot), but I use a low-MOA red dot on my S&W M&P-15/22 as its standard sight and love it for 50 yards and less. 100 yards works okay, but the dot pretty much obscures much of a 6" target at that range. Friends who are not regular shooters love using the red dot on my M&P-15/22 over the magified optics on my MKII FV-SR. Perhaps your friend's son may be the same?

Colon Terminus

If you intend to shoot to the potential of your .22 Mag. A red dot just isn't gonna get it. You'll need a scope.

I do believe that the rear sight is just dovetailed in and can be popped out with a plastic hammer. Thats the way it was on my Mark II-F so since the 93F is basically the same but in 22 Mag I would say it should be the same.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.