Thread: EGW Bases

L.H. Clark

EGW Bases

I have been looking on all the sites that I normally frequent for a 20 MOA EGW base for My Savage 111 Flat Back. The only thing I can find is made from aluminium and is at MidwayUSA.

Is this correct? I swear that I saw a steel EGW 20MOA base for a Flat Back Savage at one time. If I am mistaken, please let me know. When I mount this scope base, I need to make it a permanent affair. I have already stripped the action and had to drill and tap my mounting screws to 8-40. I cannot "experiment" anymore. I need to know the best 20plus MOA mount. Preferably steel if they are made. Of course picatinny. I am open to those with more experience than me. If a two piece is the way to go, I am not closed to the idea. I would like to shoot 700 yds plus. I shoot a 6.5 Swede on a Modern Action obviously.

I have heard all the stuff about older flat back Savage actions being drilled out of square. This is possible of course and that is why I go with Burris Sig Zee rings. Even in 30mm there is some play. BUT if 1" is the only way to have the inserts I will adjust my scope purchase in that direction.

\
    Any advice is appreciated and will be considered. Thank You all for your time and expertise! I look forward to reading the resp0onses.

L.H. Clark

Basic Member

Re: EGW Bases

I put one of their bases on the LA I built for my last year for Christmas. If in doubt, call them. The folks at EGW (Evolution Gun Works) have impressed me with their customer service so far. I couldn't find a base in stock anywhere. I called them. The girls told me that wouldn't be making more of those for a few weeks. She took my contact info. The next day she call back and said she found one and it was in my hands in 4 days. I appreciated that. Luck, Tim

EGW - 215-538-1012

Basic Member

Warne makes a steel picatinny rail for the flatback 110 series rifles. It is a bit more than the EGW but if you want steel they are great bases and Midway carries them.

Gary
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

thomae

Try: http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Sava...0back%20la.htm

$31.95 and if you order 3, the shipping is free.

It does appear to be made of aluminum, however. You might want to call EGW directly and check with them. On their web site, there is a HD round back steel base, but it appears the rest are aluminum. Call them and ask directly...perhaps they can custom fabricate something for you.

If you can find a steel 0 MOA rail, you could always use it and Burris Zee Rings to get your angle for the long range shots.

If anyone has found a better price, please let me know.

ESSCEE

Thanks for the sight thomae they are even a little less expensive than SWFA!

helotaxi

What's the need for steel? Aluminum is more than adequate for the task. The Swede doesn't have any recoil (not that that's really an issue either).

I've got an older flat back and it's drilled dead nuts straight. It's worn a number of scopes and bases over the years and I don't recall ever needing more than maybe 3 MOA from mechanical center to zero it.

Basic Member

i put one on my 223 and it was off finally swaped scopes since the other had alot more adjustment to get it zero'd.