Thread: interesting savage 11 with different receiver and bolt body....

Basic Member

interesting savage 11 with different receiver and bolt body....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=255907136

I saw this on gunbroker and have never seen one before.... The spiral bolt I could see as a special order or something as that is easy enough to switch out. What really caught my attention is the different slots in the receiver..? Has anyone seen one like this? Is it a limited run of savages? Is it the new style they are going to? I hope the link works and I'm sorry if this has been covered already.

airaddict

Re: interesting savage 11 with different receiver and bolt body....

Thats the new lightwieght hunter. I saw a non firing model at a hunting show in aug and they r very nice. It really is quite light. I did think the recesses in the receiver looked kind of odd but i know they intend to reduce weight that way.

Brian

Basic Member

I thought it had to be a lightweight something, especially with a 20in barrel, but couldn't find it on their website, and haven't heard anything about them. I like the bolt. I may have to get some bolt "bling"

Basic Member

Gun Nuts did a peice on them the other week. Got good reviews.

Basic Member

That is some nice looking wood, much better than I am used to seeing on Savages. I still think tupperware is sexy!
    Friends don't let friends use see through scope mounts. No offense.

ellobo

The latest issue of the American Rifleman has ann extensive article on the light wgt hunter.

El Lobo

Khorban

It's the model 11 Lightweight Hunter. The Savage website isn't set up well to let you link to specific rifles (strange design . . .), but it's listed under the Specialty Series here: http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

I love the spiral-fluted bolt look. If I can ever get one as a stand-alone replacement for my standard model 11, it's going on the wish list.

I noticed somewhere that the 11 lightweight had a plastic trigger guard on it. Anyone seen something like that on a rifle before? Thought that was an interesting decision.

tyler.woodard04

guys check out this out http://www.darkeaglecustom.com/index.html
    I have not meet him yet but found out about him from a friend. he will be doing some of my work for sure. spiral cut bolts and knobs. sweet

ellobo

SharpShooterSupply sells fluted bolt bodies for $50. He advertises here. Not spiral fluting but very nice design. Check his website.

El Lobo

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    SharpShooterSupply sells fluted bolt bodies for $50. He advertises here. Not spiral fluting but very nice design. Check his website.

El Lobo
    Sent one of mine (Savage model 12 VLP in .243) out to him the other day. Should be completed and back home sometime after I get back from a trip to KC.... I'll post some pics and a review for you all. SSS seems to be a good company. So far, communications has been great and they have been easy to deal with....
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

notirhe

You will find the Lightweight Series on the Savage Arms website if you click on the "Firearms" tab on the home page and then click on "List Firearms" in the drop down menu. Scroll down to "Specialty Series" in the drop down menu and click on "Lightweight Hunter" in that list.

TOO Builder

I spied a different looking wood stocked Savage this past weekend at a store and turned out it was a LW Hunter in .243. Nice rifle but I didn't like the $729 price tag. Interesting how it has milled out areas on the receiver.

ellobo

TOO builder, the price reflects the added machining costs needed to get the wgt down, to both the reciever and stock. costs go up on small numbers of a product and I dont think Savage is expecting this to be a high volume sales product. Consider also the time to set up and take down the machinery and tooling especialy for short runs of product and it isnt a surprise to see the price of this rifle.
    You get what you pay for.
    El Lobo

TOO Builder

Yes, totally understand that the milling and fluted bolt body adds to the production costs of the rifle and it would reflect in the cost to the customer. Just saying I didn't like the price cause I really wanted it :'(

ellobo

TOO Builder, I perfectly understand your lusting after one. I lust after a lot of firearms but my lust far out runs my ability to pay for them. Social Security raises hell with us older shooters.

El lobo