Thread: Model 40 Hornet Wont Extract

Farmall 1066

Model 40 Hornet Wont Extract

Bought this new (to me) last fall and loaded a few hundred rounds of new brass. They all worked flawlessly until I neck sized the once fired brass. Now the fired brass sticks in the chamber, but is easily removed with knife blade or a cleaning rod. The cases show no signs of chamber damage, or over pressure. The brass is trimmed to minimum length. I have removed the extractors and inspected and cleaned them. nothing suspicious found there, either. I even primed 5 empty cases and fired them. They will stick too, but extract ok if not fired.
    Not sure if I'm overlooking something. Anyone else seen this?

Thanks
    Andy

Basic Member

Re: Model 40 Hornet Wont Extract

You might want to full length size a few and try that. Sometimes neck sizing will cause the cases to be sticky. Do you have any resistance when you close the bolt? If so that is probably your problem.

WaltherP99

I am having the same issue with my Model 40. I am using factory rounds tho'. Mine has been back to Savage twice already and it's about to go back a 3rd time this coming Monday. Hopefully this time they replace it with a fully functional rifle.

I would suggest calling Savage...they will either bring it in or send you new extractors. Using reloads may be an issue in their eyes tho'.

Good luck!

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Farmall 1066
    Bought this new (to me) last fall and loaded a few hundred rounds of new brass. They all worked flawlessly until I neck sized the once fired brass. Now the fired brass sticks in the chamber, but is easily removed with knife blade or a cleaning rod. The cases show no signs of chamber damage, or over pressure. The brass is trimmed to minimum length. I have removed the extractors and inspected and cleaned them. nothing suspicious found there, either. I even primed 5 empty cases and fired them. They will stick too, but extract ok if not fired.
    Not sure if I'm overlooking something. Anyone else seen this?

Thanks
    Andy
    My model 40 does exactly the same thing. Full length sizing helps. If I neck size only it fails to extract everytime after firing. If I full length size then it works most of the time (sometimes it still fails to extract even full length sized brass).

ellobo

With this many guys having the same problem I am willing to bet that the chambering reamer they are using is SAAMI min dimensions or less. Check your fired brass to see if there are small annular rings around the bodies of the brass which will indicate that there are annular rings in the chambers caused by a bad reamer or burr hanging up during reaming. They will act to grab the brass. I have seen it happen on bad semi=auto pistol barrels.

El Lobo

vic_price

I have a Model 40 Hornet that extracts without problem and I've just been neck sizing the cases so they don't all have your problem. I mean this to be encouraging in that they can be made to work. Mine's a fun to shoot little rifle.

tenwalker

I had the same problem with my first 40 with factory ammo. Sent it to Savage and they replaced the spring and extractor and no more problems and no charge. I have fired over 1000 rds since still no problems I bought a second one (thumbhole stock) and over 500 rds. no problem. 13 1/2grs. "Lil Gun" and 35gr v-max 3050fps Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40LR with varmint reticle and lots of dead P dogs. I just neck resize.

Farmall 1066

Eric at Savage arms is mailing me a new set of extractors and springs. They're out no labor, I'm not out of a gun!
    If its fixed, we're both happy!

WaltherP99

Good Luck and I hope it all works out for ya! I can't wait to get mine back! ;D

Last I heard, they are replacing it.

Farmall 1066

Well, Eric sent me new extractors, but only one of the springs. I'm waiting for the other springs to arrive so I can test the results.

Andy

WaltherP99

Quote Originally Posted by Farmall 1066
    Well, Eric sent me new extractors, but only one of the springs. I'm waiting for the other springs to arrive so I can test the results.

Andy
    Other springs??? Thought there was only one with the extractors?

Farmall 1066

Mine had 2 overlapping springs on it when I got it. Kind of a moot point, as I finally got around to shooting it this weekend.....same problem. ??? I'll call Savage and see what they say.

Andy

WaltherP99

Huh...that's odd! Anyways...

They replaced my previous rifle with a new one that arrived this past Friday. Took it to the range on Saturday and on the 4th shot the SAME issue reared it's ugly head! So, I know how you feel man. This rifle is nothing but a problem. Good luck with yours!

Woodser

If extraction can be done easily with a knife blade, the sticking cannot be caused by a rough chamber or undersized cases. It has to be an extractor problem. It is not getting fully under the rim or has enough spring pressure to grab the rim securely.

I had the same problem with an old 340 Hornet. Turned out it was the extractor, with a slightly rounded lip. With a tiny file I filed off that lip and it never failed to extract again. And I neck sized with hot loads.

Reblyell

Tagged for reference.