Thread: (im new) need help with savage model 340 30-30

BIG-CB

(im new) need help with savage model 340 30-30

I have an old model 340. Every time I fire a round out of it, the brass acts like it is swelling in the chamber and will not eject. I have to bang lightly with the palm of my hand to eject it out of the chamber. I have tried all ammo and it does the same thing. Any ideas?

Airedaleman

Re: (im new) need help with savage model 340 30-30

Does the fired brass show excessive expansion? Do the fired primers protrude? These could be signs of headspace problems and high pressure. If you're shooting only factory ammuntion, however, I suspect you may have a very dirty or rusty chamber.Try cleaning the chamber really well with a .410 bore brush. That may help.

BIG-CB

Fired brass shows no signs of expansion. All I have been shooting is factory loads. Been using the Hornady ;DLeverevolution because of the accuracy. But just be nice to cycle the action and me not look like an idiot out there with a crappy rifle. I love savages and this rifle because of the versatile round it shoots. I will try the bore brush and see where that gets me this weekend. Also hoping to shoot my new xp3 in .270 I just acquired. ;D

emzornes

You said you can bang on it and the case falls out. It almost sounds like the shell extractor is not grabbing the shell and pulling it back. I think if you had a case expansion problem you would have to use something to push them out instead of them just falling out.

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by emzornes
    You said you can bang on it and the case falls out. It almost sounds like the shell extractor is not grabbing the shell and pulling it back. I think if you had a case expansion problem you would have to use something to push them out instead of them just falling out.
    I'm thinking he means he has to bang on the bolt handle to get it to pull the brass out - not an extractor problem.

Clean the chamber well as was suggested, look at it very carefully to make sure there is not a piece of brass or other debris stuck in there (or if you see any pits, scratches, rust etc.).

Also - try a different load. Just some plain old silver box Winchester or green and yellow Remington and see if they have the same problem.