Thread: Stevens 200 bolt face onto a Sav 110E bolt?

USMarine1108

Stevens 200 bolt face onto a Sav 110E bolt?

Long story short guys. For a past build, I started with a Stevens 200 in .223 which I converted to .243. I still have the magazine and bolt face. I've got a buddy with a Sav 110E in .243 (it's a first gen short action, not a long action) which he wants to convert to .223. I thought "no problem, I've got the parts he needs!". Well, it looks like the Stevens bolt head won't fit into the 110E bolt because there is a small detent in the bolt body which prevents the bolt head to slide in far enough to install the pin.

What's the deal here? Obviously these parts aren't compatible, so what kind of bolt head does he need and where does he get it? Is there anything else he's going to run into?

82boy

Re: Stevens 200 bolt face onto a Sav 110E bolt?

Quote Originally Posted by USMarine1108
    I've got a buddy with a Sav 110E in .243 (it's a first gen short action, not a long action) which he wants to convert to .223.
    A first generation short action is for the most part is still a long action. The bolt body is a hair bit shorter, but it is still not the length of the 2ng generation (2 digit actions) short action. To term the action correctly it is an intermetiate action, it is inbetween a long and a short, but it is actualy closer to a long action. It still uses a long action bolt head. To get a long action 223 bolt head either you need to get a conversion kit from SSS, or be a lucky person and win the lottery, or find an old long action 223 bolt head your chances are about the same. The detent is something that Savage did in the past, some people have cut them out, or grinded a spot in the bolt head.

the bump was added so anyone can put it together and have it face the right direction!
    remove it or add a notch to the bolt head.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

USMarine1108

Hummmm. Thanks for the info guys. Just to be clear, the factory .243 barrel is labled 110E, the action screw spacing is 4.522", has a 3 screw adjustable trigger and a flat rear reciever. I've seen them called long actions and 1st gen short actions, I wasn't sure exactly which one is correct but either way I think it's 6 of 1/half dozen of the other and we're talking about the same thing. I've also read that they are often incorrectly called "J" actions too. All of that ambiguity aside, I just want to make sure I described the correct thing here, hahaha.

So, am I safe to assume that after either grinding the detent off from the inside of the bolt body or putting a groove in the .223 (originaly from a short action Stevens) bolt face that it will fit correctly and work fine? Or is there a specific .223 bolt face for a long action he needs?

I don't see a bolt conversion kit on SSS, am I missing something? And thanks guys, I really appreciate it. It seems this action is somewhat of an odd ball but we should be able to get this thing together.

82boy

Hummmm. Thanks for the info guys. Just to be clear, the factory .243 barrel is labled 110E, the action screw spacing is 4.522", has a 3 screw adjustable trigger and a flat rear reciever. I've seen them called long actions and 1st gen short actions, I wasn't sure exactly which one is correct but either way I think it's 6 of 1/half dozen of the other and we're talking about the same thing. I've also read that they are often incorrectly called "J" actions too. All of that ambiguity aside, I just want to make sure I described the correct thing here, hahaha.
    Yes you are desribing it correctly. A first gen short is actualy a intermeatate action it has a shorter cut out in the mag box and a 4.522 screw spacing. Yes mislabled a "J " action. The bolt is slightly shorter than a long action, but it still uses long action parts.
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...ic,3883.0.html

So, am I safe to assume that after either grinding the detent off from the inside of the bolt body or putting a groove in the .223 (originaly from a short action Stevens) bolt face that it will fit correctly and work fine? Or is there a specific .223 bolt face for a long action he needs?
    If you get the right bolt head (Long action) you can do the modifications, and they will work correctly. Alway check firing pin prutusion, before firing. The 1st gen short actions use a long action bolt head, and yes there was a 223 long action bolt head that was used on production guns. They are rare. Something else to consider is the size of the fireing pins have changed, you may have to drill out the bolt head to make it fit.
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...pic,511.0.html

I don't see a bolt conversion kit on SSS, am I missing something?
    Just because something isn't on a web site doesn't mean it is not offered or made. It is a low demand part, and therefore not advertised. (Midway has thousands of parts not listed on their web site, or catalog.) Give them a call. The kit uses a short action bolt head, but corrects firing pin prutusion, without it the firing pin travel will be too long, and cause pierced primers, and a dangerous situation.

USMarine1108

Again, thanks for the help. We called Midway and Brownells and neither of them have the bolt head. I guess we'll start trying to get ahold of SSS on monday.

Quick question: Because the 110 bolt head is .500" and the Stevens short action bolt head I have is .435", wouldn't we still be able to use the short action bolt head considering that when we put a new barrel on it, we can just screw the new barrel in .065" to make up the gap? I've put a few barrels on Savages and know the process, I'm just not seeing why this wouldn't still work.

82boy

Quick question: Because the 110 bolt head is .500" and the Stevens short action bolt head I have is .435", wouldn't we still be able to use the short action bolt head considering that when we put a new barrel on it, we can just screw the new barrel in .065" to make up the gap? I've put a few barrels on Savages and know the process, I'm just not seeing why this wouldn't still work.
    No, it will not work. The problem comes in the form of firing pin travel, and has nothing to do with headspace. If you place a short action bolt head on a long action bolt body the firing pin will travel too far and pierce primers, causeing daugourous gasses and debree to be expelled very possible aimed directly in the shooters eye. To put it in laymens terms, the firing pin will come out further that it shoud because the bolt head is shorter in length, and cause the firing pin to over-travel and go through the primer cup, releaseing 50,000 PSI cup pressure in an unpredictable, and uncontrolable maner. The SSS change over kit has a longer nose (Cocking piece sleave.) limiting the firing pin travel to a safe adjustable leval, this will alow you to use your short action bolt head safelty.