Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering reloading .223, can I expect as accurate as premium factory loads?

kslefty

Re: Considering reloading .223, can I expect as accurate as premium factory loads?

An older man @ cabela's turned me onto H322 when I started reloading and after numerous tries with other powders I keep coming back to it. I prefer sierra blitz king bullets, H322, and regular CCI primers. This is half the fun, trying different combos. I do think the faster burn rate of H322 makes it shine over varget with light bullets.

iHuntTargets

Re: Considering reloading .223, can I expect as accurate as premium factory loads?

Back with another range report after working up some loads ... this time for a new rifle, a Model 12 LRPV:

http://www.metacraft.com/shooting/ra...011-11-09.html

For those that don't care to look through the info, my best group of 5 shots was 0.40". If I drop the worst shot from each group, the best group is 0.29". Looks like the best load I've tried so far in this rifle is 25.0 grains of Varget with a Sierra 52gn HPBT.

Fun stuff ...

Quote Originally Posted by kslefty
    If you plan on using 60gr or lighter bullets I highly recommend H322 poowder. I have tried a lot of others and keep coming back to this powder. Above 60gr and I use varget myself.
    Good advice.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

52grn Berger FB's seem to work the best in my 9 twist 223 BVSS, One of my best shooting purely factory rifles!

I am going to try it at 300 yds one day!

I would be interested in seeing your favorite loads
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member

Another though on reloading When I plan a hunt I always make sure the rifle or rifles"s I take that factory ammo is available in the event your ammo is lost Etc. I haven't shot factory ammo for 35- years or more ever sinse reloading unlees I get some in a trade and I shoot it up for ther brass. Use to be that reloading saved alot of money but most reloaders would say they reeload for the accuracy you get over factory ammo, But today with components going out of sight accuracy is the reason to reload. Factory ammo has gone a long way in the accuracy department. I on occasion have worked a very accurate load up to find the factory supreme to shoot the same POI but I always sight in my rifles every year to be sure they are still on. Good Luck this Hunting season to everyone and may you get that once in a lifetime trophy. I envey you guys who tromp thru the wood I can no longer do that but I have had my share of hunting. Have a permit to hunt from a car now due to disabilities I have reached a point in life where I can afford it but the body won't co-operate. (Golden Years My A%$) Lou
    A great civilization is not conqured from without,until it has destroyed itself from within. In God We Trust

iHuntTargets

Another range report with the Model 12 LRPV, this time using H335 powder and 69 grain SMKs:

http://www.metacraft.com/shooting/ra...011-12-02.html

Not too bad I guess. I figure I still have a good deal of experimenting to do before I find the right combination of powder, bullet, and seating depth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12