Thread: Hello all and please help a newbie with a 99?

emzornes

Hello all and please help a newbie with a 99?

Hello everyone

I am new to the forum but I have been on the Ruger forum for a while. Just to get it out of the way and so I can start my relation ship off with all of you on the right foot I must tell you Rugers are my love. I have a bunch of them and when I go out they are what I look for but I do have other firearms as well which lead me here. I recnetly purchased a model 99 in 308 from a guy I work with for a mere $250. It is short like a carbine and has chekered wood stocks on it with a weaver scope. It is in nice shape wood and blue and my original reason for buying it was trade bait or resale but then I got to thinking I might like to deer hunt with it so it is still in the safe. My questions are how do you determine model and year of production on these? I think it is a 70's model but not 100% sure. I will try and get some pics up soon because I know that always helps also when I get the pics up if someone could give me a guess at value it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the help and I look forward to visiting often.

Mike

Basic Member

Re: Hello all and please help a newbie with a 99?

post the S/N

emzornes

Hello the serial# is as follows C0328XX it is marked on the barrel 99E 308 and the barrel length if I measured correctly is 22". Thanks

Basic Member

you sure thats not a 6 instead of a C

Basic Member

what is the letter boss code? On the bottom of the gun in front of the lever is a circle with a couple of numbers and then a letter. this letter started in 1949 with A, 1950 is B, 1951 is C and so on. Please someone correct me if Im wrong, but i read this somewhere I think.

emzornes

Here are a few pics. I did not see any letters or number by the lever but I can check it again tomorrow I am at work right now.

Basic Member

Sold!!! I'll take it ;D ;D ;D

nice rifle, for a great price, Hope you have many good years with it.
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

emzornes

I agree it is a really nice looking gun when I got it out earlier today to take the pics I fondled over it some more and really saw nothing wrong with it. I would say the wood and blue is 95% or better and for the price I paid I think I stole it. The guy sold me about 5 or 6 guns really cheap so he could by a bow hunting set-up.

99trix

99E (economy grade). Lowest end model, no cartridge counter, birch stocks and pressed checkering. The recoil pad is not factory. Positive for the E was the fact that they still had the lever safety and not the tang safety. Wonderful hunting rig, enjoy!

emzornes

man with that said I am not so sure about my price then, I thought it was worth at least double what I paid so am I wrong?

osmosis

I've seen 'em go for $375-$450, so you didn't get a bad deal.

99trix

Date of manufacture 1975, really not a collectable because of model and more so because the butt has been squared off and a recoil pad added. You won't find a nicer hunting rig for the price you paid.