Thread: Picked up my new weather warrior today.

Murphy

Picked up my new weather warrior today.

Joy upon joy, Picked up my new Savage in caliber 7mm/08 today but the darn gun shop did not have the right scope mounts or reloading dies.As soon as I get hold of some dies and mounts I will be in business and will keep every one posted.

ellobo

Re: Picked up my new weather warrior today.

Good choice, Shuls work out fine.

El Lobo

rusty815

had the same problem woth my gunstore not having scope mounts for my model 16 weather warrior, its a spectacular rifle and is very accurate without modifications, you will do well with it.

hank440

Guys,

whatever place you bought the Savages and can't find mounts for them, make a point of talking o the manager. That's what I did now they have them in stock finally. ;D

Basic Member

Murphy,
    I"m pretty sure I have some Burris two piece bases & Signature rings that will fit your gun. Matte finish, med rings.
    Let me know if you are interested.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

Murphy

To Charlie and others, Thanks for your kind offer of some mounts but I live in Australia so it is a bit far to send them. I live out in the bush about 1 1/2 hours drive to a suitable gun shop but I will ring up and have them posted out. The Weather warrior seems like a nice gun, but I was a little surprised buy the weight. My Stevens 200 in 300 Win Mag. weighs 1lb less even with a 2" longer barrel and long action, Barrel is of the same profile, so I am thinking that the weight must be in the Accu Stock and magazine, Also there is a bit more meat in the action because of the bottom mounted bolt release on the weather warrior. I have my own private rifle range with a good bench rest so when my equiptment arrives it will get put through it's paces.

Cycler

You are probably aware of this but the mounts for any Savage 10/110-based round-back action will work, There is nothing unique about the Model 16 except the stainless steel finish. If blue or black mounts don't offend you you may be able to find them more easily. For a one piece mount you have to match the action length (short in your case) but two piece mounts are universal.

I have two model 16s, one pre-Accustock in 7mm-08 and a newer Accustock version in .243 Win. Since I'm a lefty, my choices were limited! :)

Murphy

To Cycler, Had a pretty fair idea that ordinary 110 mounts would fit and could have bought Leupold steel mounts locally but I am trying to keep the weight down so I was after Weaver aluinium blocks and Weaver rings, the ones that look like a bent piece of tin. Also I was after Lee reloading dies and all I could get was RCBS which are about twice the price. Rang a big gunshop in Brisbane and they are going to post out the stuff I need so I will be in business about the middle of next week.Even though it is a silver rifle I prefer black scopes bases and rings. Is your 7mm08 a 1in13 twist if so does it shoot ok?

Cycler

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy
    . Is your 7mm08 a 1in13 twist if so does it shoot ok?
    Mine OEM was one of the 1 in 11.5" (1 in 29.2 cm for you metric folks there) barrels but i had it rebarreled to a 1:9 twist by SSS. I really never gave the slow twist factory barrel much of a chance but it seemed ok in limited range time.

Murphy

To Cycler, Thanks for the information, I understand both metric and imperial but prefer millimeters to thou for small measurements.. Hope my gear arrives soon, every spare moment I sit around dry firing the accutrigger and it sure feels nice. I would sleep with the thing under my pillow if my wife would let me.