Thread: Another noob question.

Mike the Impaler

Another noob question.

So, I have a 111 30-06. I'm breaking it in still so my groups are still around 1.5 moa. They seem to have 2 close and 1 flyer still. From doing my reading on this forum, this is normal until around 50 rounds or so. Anyway, when I get it broke in and fine tuned, what is the maximum effective range that I can expect to get with the 111?
    Mike

1Shot

Re: Another noob question.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike the Impaler
    So, I have a 111 30-06. I'm breaking it in still so my groups are still around 1.5 moa. They seem to have 2 close and 1 flyer still. From doing my reading on this forum, this is normal until around 50 rounds or so. Anyway, when I get it broke in and fine tuned, what is the maximum effective range that I can expect to get with the 111?
    Mike
    ...Whatever your maximum effective range is...

ellobo

Depends on what you mean by effective. For huting I would say 600 yds and for long range target at least 1000 yds. Both of which need a lot of practice and expertice at long range shooting. For either one, get those groups down under MOA.

El Lobo

Mike the Impaler

Yes, I meant what could be expected from hunting. 500 meters is respectable I think, especially with a light barrel like the hunter series has. I picked up a series of different bullet weight so we'll see if that makes a difference tomorrow.
    Mike

jeffman3

I guess my question is; effective range to hunt what, with what ammunition? The cartridge is capable. The rifle should be capable, with the right ammo. What is your target? Prairie dogs, and elk, require very differant ammunition. Both require a very differant amount of energy to kill cleanly and ethically. This rifle/cartridge combination is capable for both, (maybe not ideal for either one, but capable non the less! :) (within appropriate range limitations for the game you are hunting, of course) ) "Effective range" depends mostly on your ability to put the "right" bullet, on the mark, with enough bullet energy to cleanly, and ethically, kill what you are shooting at.

Mike the Impaler

Quote Originally Posted by jeffman3
    I guess my question is; effective range to hunt what, with what ammunition? The cartridge is capable. The rifle should be capable, with the right ammo. What is your target? Prairie dogs, and elk, require very differant ammunition. Both require a very differant amount of energy to kill cleanly and ethically. This rifle/cartridge combination is capable for both, (maybe not ideal for either one, but capable non the less! :) (within appropriate range limitations for the game you are hunting, of course) ) "Effective range" depends mostly on your ability to put the "right" bullet, on the mark, with enough bullet energy to cleanly, and ethically, kill what you are shooting at.
    Well, I bought this gun to hunt Coues deer. I live in southern Arizona and it's generally a long shot on Coues deer. I know the cartridge is capable of long accurate shots. I was just unsure of where the light/short barrel of the 111 stopped. If it's good out to 500 meters, I'm pleased with it.

Cserv

The rifle should be up to task aslong as you and your optic are as well. Only after multiple rapid shots should your accuracy degrade.