Thread: Accustock barrel channel widening

notirhe

Accustock barrel channel widening

Has anyone had occasion to widen the barrel channel on a Tupperware accustock? I have a 16FCSS (.308 Win.) and would like to rebarrel with something a bit heavier than the pencil barrel fitted by the factory. I am wondering if the margins of the barrel channel are solid or if I start rasping on them will I cut through the poly exposing a hollow cavity? I would appreciate the benefit of anyone's experience who has modified one of these factory stocks. Thanks.

Basic Member

Re: Accustock barrel channel widening

I've noticed this post is really lonesome with no replies. I had a similar "wish" for a heavy barrel for by sporter barreled 16FCSS in .223 Remington. I called Savage (I suggest you do, too) and learned they have the heavy barrel and the Accustock to fit it but because of the pricing and somewhat to Savage's policy of requiring barrel change by the factory, I might as well buy a new rifle configured as I want. I infer that the stocks are different for heavy vs sporter barrels.

I May do that.

On the other hand, the 16 FCSS is shooting groups of less than 1/2 inch at 100 yards with factory ammunition (Black Hills 69 grain Sierra Match King Hollow Point Boat Tail). So I don't mind waiting for the barrel to cool. A local competitor shooting .223 using the AR15 platform says the best shooters he's competing with, "shoot really hot" barrels. YMMV

It is important to torque the action to the stock as instructed in the manual. I watched groups shrink by increasing torque and firing four rounds. At about 30 lb/in group was minute of angle at 100 yards. At 40 lb/in, groups were at or below 1/2 inch at the same distance with the same ammo.

notirhe

Thanks for the response 5wire. I did contact Savage tech support with my barrel channel question and the tech I spoke with was notably uncooperative in providing any insight, telling me that, "you are on your own", regarding opening up the barrel channel. If I can obtain less than MOA accuracy by experimenting with action screw torque and load development I will be very happy and will scrap the heavier barrel idea. I'll let you know how it checks out when I get to the range next week.

cruiser49

Regarding the tuning of the action screws, there is an article on accurateshooter.com by Stan Pate that gives you step by step instructions on how to do it on a three-screw action. He says the technique works on two-screw actions also. The article is entitled "Savage Action Screw Torque Tuning". I can tell you from personal experience that is does make a big difference in your group size.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by cruiser49
    The article is entitled "Savage Action Screw Torque Tuning". I can tell you from personal experience that is does make a big difference in your group size.
    LINK

Thanks for the reference. That procedure is similar to that for the Accustock with the wedge or without the wedge described in a sticky on this forum. The final torque is higher than in Pate's procedure.

Unfortunately, Savage has not published a PDF of the procedure on their website that I can find nor is it in any of the downloadable manuals at the sight. None of the manuals I've downloaded even mention the Accustock. Even the manual that came with my rifle is very sketchy on the subject.

Uncle Jack

I copied this from a previous post. I do not know the original poster:

I thought I'd pass along this info;

The other day I had a informative conversation with Mr. Chris Bezzina (main engineer at Savage Arms) who played a key part in the development of the AccuStock. I wanted to get detailed information on torque specs for the 10 LE weapons series. There is a sequence for reassembling in the manuals but for ultimate accuracy wanted by advanced shooters the recommended sequence is as follows.

Proper Adjustment of The AccuStock
    There is a specific technique for assembling the action into the AccuStock, and it needs to be strictly adhered to as follows:

1. Ensure that the recoil lug “wedge” screw is backed out to the point where the wedge has sufficient vertical movement to allow the recoil lug to seat against the bottom of the aluminum rail.

2. With the action inserted into the stock, justify the action toward the rear of the stock to allow the recoil lug on the action to be seated against the boss on the aluminum rail.

3. Tighten the forward most screw to 10 in.-lbs. to seat the action against the aluminum rail boss, then back out one-half turn.

4. Tighten the middle action screw to 10 in.-lbs.

5. Tighten the rear action screw to 10 in.-lbs.

6. Tighten the forward action screw to 10 in.-lbs

Repeat steps four through six and increase torque value in increments up to a final torque value of 40 to 45 in.-lbs.

Note: It is extremely important to tighten per the instructions above because when you are tightening the action down into the AccuStock you are spreading the aluminum side rails and evenly moving the action down onto the base of the rail, ensuring positive engagement.

—Chris Bezzina, Savage Arms

It may be a little crude but, I open my stocks with a cordless trim saw set at the desired angle. Then I sand it down. I have done this with wood, synthetic, and accu-stocks.

notirhe

Thanks for that Snowgetter1. I was afraid that the forend might have been moulded as a hollow shell like the buttstock but it sounds as if it is solid poly or whatever resin Savage uses to make their synthetic stocks. It ought to be easy to widen the barrel channel with a barrel bedding tool since I should only need about another eighth skimmed off each side of the channel to accommodate the barrel I have in mind. The hardest part of the job will probably be properly reseating the action in the aluminum Accustock bedding block.