Thread: .223 wylde ?

tropicmaster

.223 wylde ?

I am close to finishing a .223 Savage build, have everything but the barrel. Nobody has an 8 twist small shank on the shelf, and I dont want to wait 8-12 weeks for an ordered barrel. Jim has an 8 twist .223 wylde ready for shipping. I am still a couple of months away from even getting started reloading so my question is this. Will this chambering shoot factory ammoy decently until I can start reloading? What is the wylde, and why would I want/not want it ? My use will be mostly target at 3-600 yards, although I may break down and go west for a PD adventure in the spring. There are no varmints to speak of here in the Carolinas other than a few crows in the winter.

Basic Member

Re: .223 wylde ?

223 wyld is btwn the 223 rem and
    556 nato chamber. It is looser than the rem and tighter than the nato. It'll shoot the factory rnd just fine. My spr 18" ar is awylde. Shoots great.

zxd9

Here are some bits and pieces I've found around the net. I have an RRA with a 1:8 Wylde barrel. I find it to be pretty darn accurate.

-----------
    Here's a good article by Glen Zediker:

Chambers: that all-important point where everything starts

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n14816186/

-----------
    A Wylde chamber, which is a mix between .223 and 5.56. The 5.56x45 NATO is NOT exactly the same as a .223 Rem. The 5.56 spec allows for slightly longer chambers for higher pressures. The .223 has a tighter chamber around the neck and is shorter which allows for a bit better accuracy. You can shoot .223 ammo in a 5.56 chamber, but it is DANGEROUS to shoot 5.56 (surplus for instance) ammo in a .223 chamber. What the Wylde chamber does is allow for 5.56 ammo with slightly tighter chamber for better accuracy. So you can shoot both 5.56 and .223 safely with good accuracy.
    -----------
    It is not designed to be "in-between SAAMI and MIL-SPEC." There are SAAMI pressures for both .223 and 5.56. The 5.56 is proofed at higher pressures than the .223. The Wylde chamber is designed to provide adequate accuracy for .223 AND 5.56 while handling the pressures of 5.56. Sometimes, when firing .223 in a 5.56 chambered rifle accuracy suffers. Firing 5.56 in a .223 chamber can cause excessive wear. The "in-between" applies to the difference in leades of the two cartridges.
    -----------

wleoff

Just from my limited experience, the Shilen .223 Wilde barrel will shoot bullets up to 80 grains. I made the mistake of getting a Shilen .223 barrel and it wouldn't take anything above 55 grains. The chamber throat is longer on the .223 Wilde. This surprised me because the chamber on my Savage .223 112 is long. I've shot 77 grain bullets in it.

chestsprings

I had ask the same question a while back .

opinions vary, but it seemed that people think the Wylde chamber is not, or can not be a match chamber.

I find it hard to believe there are two different "match" chambers . a Wylde, & a regular "match.

some people stated the Wylde is "looser".

maybe they should call Dave Kiff ( Pacific Tool & Gauge) or have Jim Briggs express his thoughts.

they may find out there is no different in the chamber/reamer, except for the leade of the neck.

all the other info. about a sloppy chamber, etc., may not be true.

Most of the service rifle shooters I've come across shooting either CMP or NRA matches around the country are using the Wylde chamber. John Holliger of White Oak Precision (one of the countries top AR smiths & a top level competitor himself) uses the Wylde on the rifles coming out of his shop. Rock River's NM service rifle is factory cut with the Wylde as well.
    Those seem to be pretty good recommendations, which is why I've kept the Wylde when I rebarrel.

Art
    Once, I was a very young Marine, long, long ago.