Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Primers

Hand Primers

Are all hand primers equal?

Looking at the Lee Auto Prime Hand Priming Tool.

Do I also need to buy the package of shellholders?

Also looking at the RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool.

$25 combined for the Lee stuff or $46.99 for the RCBS. Quite a difference for the same function.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

hitman49

Re: Hand Primers

I use the Lee Auto Prime and have never had any problems with it. You will need to buy the pack of shell holders for it. All the common shell holders are in the pack. The only caliber that I didn't get a holder for in the package was 7.62 x 39.

sinman

I use the lee too, its nice to grab 200pcs of brass and 2 boxes of primers and sit in front of the tv and prime

stevec

Lee +++++1

Steve

Yep.
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

dcloco

I have the RCBS....and...if I knew now, what I did not know then...The Lee would be at my reloading bench. Actually, I would buy two of them.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco
    ...Actually, I would buy two of them.
    +++++1 on that thought too!! Have one, and would like to keep a spare around.

groupshooter22

I have the RCBS....and...if I knew now, what I did not know then...The Lee would be at my reloading bench. Actually, I would buy two of them.
    I have the RCBS which I dont care for and therefore dont use and would like to know why the Lee is better? Better feel more leverage?

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by groupshooter
    I have the RCBS which I dont care for and therefore dont use and would like to know why the Lee is better? Better feel more leverage?
    Caliber changes take...about.....that long. Seriously. You have a good "feel" of the primers seating and the low cost of the Lee setup. Really, cannot be beat.

Ordered the Lee. Thanks.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

I have the RCBS but have been thinking of getting a LEE and setting one up for Large and one for small.

Basic Member

The Lee hand primer is the only Lee tool I own. Never tried the RCBS so can't compare. The Lee works fine
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

82boy

I have both a lee and a rcbs, the RCBS is a far better primer if your looking at quality and feel. The Lee is harder on the hands. The Lee has some advantages: it is smaller, easier to change out the shell holders, cost less, and the shell holders are cheap.
    They both work good.

I have two lees, Had one forever and bought a RCBS so I would have two for the bench. I hated the RCBS and gave it to our very own Blue Avenger and bought another lee. I did not care for the RCBS at all.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCTX
    ...Actually, I would buy two of them.
    +++++1 on that thought too!! Have one, and would like to keep a spare around.
    i have 4 of them, 210m's, lr magnum, 205's, wolf srm, that way i never mix them up, i do my pistol stuff on the dillon 550.
    God still loves you,   yep even on them days....

Quote Originally Posted by EFBell
    I have two lees, Had one forever and bought a RCBS so I would have two for the bench. I hated the RCBS and gave it to our very own Blue Avenger and bought another lee. I did not care for the RCBS at all.
    And I really like it! and the one I already had. I also have one of them Lee ones that I use some times If I have to LOL
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

firemachine69

Try to get a feel for both. That's the only way you'll know. :D

Basic Member

the only real complaint i have w/ the lee is the round tray is too small to dump a batch of primers directly into, i dump in 3rd's, i/e pull a third of the box open and then flip everything over, then load, then do it again. one of the other brands has a square tray that fits a primer packet of 100 much better.
    God still loves you,   yep even on them days....

Basic Member

I have 3 Lees and 1 RCBS that I never use.
    Lees all the way, easier & faster....& and lot less $.

Basic Member

???
    Had 2 lee hand primers, both levers broke off next to body.
    Have rcbs hand primer, no problems, 4x's as many primers set as both lees added together ?
    I won't go back.
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Woodser

Also had two Lee hand primers that the handles broke off, but they were the original Lee (circa 1970's) and not the AutoPrime. I now have the AutoPrime and have not had one problem with it.

Skunce

I have two Lee Auto-Primes. I keep one set up for small and one set up for large primers. The shell holders swap out very quickly. Buy two for the price of the RCBS.

I have both as well, a fairly new Lee and a very old RCBS. The Lee is faster but the RCBS allows me to seat primers much more consistently. I still use the RCBS for everything except when priming cut down .25ACP brass for my muzzle loader and .45 ACP .

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

2recon

if you follow the instructions & grease the pivot points..you didn't get broken levers..also gives much better feel

Elkbane

I had 2 Lee's and broke handles on both of them over about a 4 year period (yes, they were greased). The cut-out in the tool is not large enough to handle WSM cases, so ai had to prime them on the press (bummer). And it was really hard on the thumbs after awhile.

I switched over about a year ago to a RCBS Universal hand primer and couldn't be happier with it. You squeeze with your fingers, not your thumbs, and it uses no shellholders - just opposing spring loaded plungers that hold the shell centered over the primer hole. I'd use Lee's again if I had too, but this one is easy to use, has better tactile feel upon seating, seems sturdier, and requires no adjustments when switching calibers, unless you change from LR to SR cases.
    Elkbane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast