Thread: Accustock problem solved

Guipago

Accustock problem solved

Bought a FCP-K in .308 that just wouldn't group, out of a 5 shot group 2 overlapping each other, the others, off with the fairies, I could see it wanted to shoot & checked all the usual solutions, stock torqued to 45" lbs correctly, all screws, mounts etc rechecked, different brands of ammo used & after having the action in & out too many times I could see the problem, the front of the action was not touching the bedding block, so I looked into this, I tried spacers under the front of the action & other stuff WAY out there in left field, nothing worked! in a frustrated fit I took off the bottom metal for the DBM & then ALL was revealed, the front tang that allows the front action screw to draw the action down onto the bedding was miscast(bent), the unit was bending enough & not letting the action bed at all, witness marks showed the high points & these were machined (filed) down until the unit stopped rocking in the stock, torqued down( I was an expert at this now!) using the front block thingy as well, now this sucker out shoots my Savage target action .223 F-class rifle which I'm winning club shoots with! (got a 119 out of 120 at 700 mtr. with target action last week) So give the bottom metal a look at if your Savage is shooting no better than a tomato stake it sure fixed mine. ;D

ellobo

Re: Accustock problem solved

Great forensics work. You should be on one of the CSI shows.

El Lobo

Guipago

Wouldn't work out, I'd be busted for grabbing at all the cute girls butts, DNA tests & smudge marks would sink me :'(

Mudcat

I am having the same issue with my .223 FCP K. I have had it apart numerous times trying to see what you are describing but I don't see anything. The action does rock in the stock until it is tightened down and it is not hitting the front block either. Do you have any pics or could you take some of the part that was bent and where you filed? It would be much appreciated.

Yes, I would love to see pictures as well. I have an accu-stock 308 that I have never been satisfied with except for hunting. I will be checking mine tommorow to see if there is a problem.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Guipago

Mudcat, sorry havn't got the picture thing down pat yet :P bit of a neanderthal, but if you rip the action outa the stock & look underneath, the bottom metal that holds the mag well or blind magazine is held in by a screw behind the trigger guard, it's a sorta self tapper screw, take it out & the frame work for the mag falls off, it's at the front of this frame that the offending tab/tang is, look at the stock area from where it came from & you will see the underside of the aluminium bedding block that this frame locates on, when you take a side ways look at the frame you will see(if it's faulty)that the front tang is at a different angle to the rest of the frame, if this is the case, look where the mag release button is, there is a pin & a spring in a housing, it's this area that needs to be filed down to allow the front tang to contact the underneath of the bedding block & let the action be drawn down onto the bedding block, placing the frame onto the stock & pressing on the front & rear tangs you will feel it rock, if it does this either try the repair OR send it back to SAVAGE or where you bought from & scream blue murder, this small casting error will certainly alter this rifles ability to get the best accuracy possible, just remember to locate the frame onto the stock 1st then the trigger guard, good luck. Geoff.

Mudcat

I believe I understand what you are saying. I was thinking this part looked suspect but was kind of waiting to see if you had pictures. I understand the neanderthal part all to well myself.

Thank you for the added clarification.

You can send pic's to my email, I will post them for you!

Email is in profile.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Mudcat

I did find where the front action screw was not pulling the action down to the pillar block even when tightened. After several times of taking the stock off and on checking for witness marks and running a feeler gauge and dental floss between the action and pillar. I filed the DBM where it was contacting the bottom of the flat part of the full length aluminum bed. I filed it down until only the square surrounding the hole was all that was contacting the piece of aluminum. Reassembled and could not pull my piece of dental floss between the pillar and action or insert my small curved feeler guage either. Took it out to shoot and an immediate improvement. I had planned to take some pics but my buddy came by and I returned his inch lb torque driver to him so I don't want to take the stock off again without it. Sorry.
    Take the DBM out of the stock and where the front action screw goes throughthere is a square this seems to be the only metal you want to tough the aluminum bed.

Thanks for the tip!

SYBO

Gulpago, any chance of some pics to my e-mail, Jim thndahd2@yahoo.com

Guipago

At this stage Jim I'm not taking the stock off the action(let sleeping accustocks lie) but another stock for it is in the pipeline so I could get something organised then, sorry not much use to you at the moment though, if you get your bottom metal off you will see what I'm going on about if you look at the unit sideways.