Thread: Hornady's 17 Hornet

Luckus

Hornady's 17 Hornet

Just read about the new 17 Hornet in the latest issue of Rifle magazine. Whats the consensus on this cartridge.

Basic Member

Re: Hornady's 17 Hornet

The 17 Hornet has been around as a wildcat for fifty years. Good cartridge.

Won't fit easily into the Savage 110 format, but might on other models.

davemuzz

I haven't read about it yet. I have a 17 Fireball in a Savage that I fox hunt.....or any varmit hunt with. I love the caliber....BANG...DEAD!!! I'll have to do some reading to see how it compares to the Fireball.

Dave

Luckus

I know it has been around quite awhile as a wildcat, and I like Hornady bullets and the innovation in that company. I hope they sell the hell out of it, but, I see little if any gain over a standard 222 Rem.

MDHOGGER

The 17 Ackley Hornet can't compete with the 222 Rem as far as foot pounds of energy, approx. 600 ft lbs vs. 1100 ft. lbs. What the 17 Ackley Hornet has going for it is very little recoil and muzzle blast. It also shoots extremely flat with a 20 grain V-Max and is a blast shooting prairie dogs out to 300 yards and beyond. This too with very little barrel heating compared to a 222 Rem or 223 Rem. One of my favorite things is walk in the prairie dog town and snipe the dog taking advantage of the vegetation to hide behind. The reduced muzzle blast has them guessing where it coming from and they tend to stay up longer. It is very easy too carry 100 rounds in a pouch to keep you busy. It is very economical to shoot with 12.3 grains of AA1680 you can get about 570 rounds loaded with a pound of powder. I have also heard barrel life for the 17AH is easily 10,000 plus rounds. It also make a very good groundhog round out to 200 yards. My preferred bullet in this situation is a 25 grain V-Max as it is a little less fragile than the 20 grain V-Max and has better penetration on large bodied groundhogs. My 17 Ackley Hornet is built on a CZ 527 22 Hornet and it makes and excellent carry rifle. I have not read the article you have referenced but would be very interested to see who will chamber this new round. Bill

davemuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Luckus
    I know it has been around quite awhile as a wildcat, and I like Hornady bullets and the innovation in that company. I hope they sell the **** out of it, but, I see little if any gain over a standard 222 Rem.
    I don't think the objective of this new round is to "beat" the speed or energy of the .222 or the .223's. I know that when I built my Stevens .17 Fireball, the objective was for a specific purpose rifle for killing red and grey fox that would drop 'em with one shot without blowing the fur apart. This requires a fast bullet that explodes quickly with no exit.

Mission accomplished with the Berger 25gr. at 3400 to 3600fps.

Dave

Big Old Boy

It will be great for chucks and for kids first centerfire. IMO.

davemuzz

BOB......That's an excellent point! The little 17 Hornet will have virtually no recoil and with bullet speeds like those of the Fireball, I've whacked groundhogs out to 150 yards and they just fall over. Those little bullets just explode inside 'em. Of course, you don't have the inside-out "dissection" like the .223 will give you....but for starters...that's just fine.

miker

Read on line that savage was gona chamber the 17 hornet in there modle 25 walking varmint rifle ;D cant wait to get one

digger11

I have the 17 ackley and love it.I will most likely have one of the new Hornady chambered rifles as well.Need has nothing to do with it.GRIN!!!

Basic Member

The 17 might do what I wanted the .221fb to do. For reloading, I intend to try some reduced loads with the fireball and see if it will sling small grain bullets as good as it does the 40-50 grain. I think savage should re-introduce the stryker in 17 caliber. Or the custom shop might offer model 25 actions for pistol builds.

taos

.17 hornet is the best magpie round ever developed. used to keep one in the meat house just for that purpose. I will have to have one I think!