Thread: Down-hill...... and sliding

possum1

Down-hill...... and sliding

Something I've noticed this year. Can't seem to figure out what direction animal sounds are coming from..ie; small game leave crunching in the forest. Trying to figure out what type of hearing aid would help. Hate to admit it but the damage has been done to my ears I guess. Nothing more frustrating than trying to figure out where the animal is. Any help appreciated, no smart-@ss remarks please, getting enough of them from the wife. ::)

Skunce

Re: Down-hill...... and sliding

Have you tried amplified hearing protectors?

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-.../dp/B001T7QJ9O

possum1

Thank's Skunce

borg

I hear ya, buddy. I realized last year that all my best friends were guys who spoke loud and clear. Missed a couple elk cause I just plain didn't know they crashed through right past me. I guess it's time to admit I've got a problem.

Al in SC

skunce, Have you used these and found them to be useful. How long does the batteries last? Thanks. Al

Skunce

I've used mine mostly at the range. Even with earplugs and the electronic muffs on I can hear other shooters talking and walking. Once I noticed I could follow the conversation of other shooters at about seventy yards. I've haven't had to replace the batteries yet, so I can't say how long they last. I have been using them since last spring in several matches, range sessions, and hunting once with the original batteries. I bought them from another shooter who told me that they didn't work correctly for him while rimfire shooting. Apparently rimfire shots aren't loud enough to shut off the amplifier on this model.

Basic Member

I have had a pair of the Howard-Leight for a couple of years now. For the money they can't be beat. Peltor and ProEars make much better ones but they are in the $150.00 to $250.00 range.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

Basic Member

Has anyone tried those in-the-ear models? Seems like the others might get uncomfortable while hunting. Maybe not from a stand but ground hunting.

Aircraftmech76

Quote Originally Posted by laportecharlie
    I have had a pair of the Howard-Leight for a couple of years now. For the money they can't be beat. Peltor and ProEars make much better ones but they are in the $150.00 to $250.00 range.
    Charlie
    +1 Howard Leights. I've had mine for 4 years now, and wouldn't be without them.

Kevin

jeffman3

I have the same problem! :-[ The Howard Leights are on my b-day wish list, (for deer season) I have missed opportunities, due to my hearing loss, and my family teases me about needing hearing aids all the time. I will be getting a pair, and I suspect hearing aids, at some point. For what it is worth, my hearing loss does not come from shooting. I suspect some genetics are involved, and I was stupid in my youth.

tyler.woodard04

just got some pro ears stalker golds. very very nice. im young, 25, so i figure use them from here on out i should have my hearing for a long time to come. wanted them because of all the handgun hunting ive been doing. short barrels and muzzle brakes will get you quick

Basic Member

I too, miss a lot of game for the same reason.

My dad, when he was still with us, used something similar, and he loved them. Myself, I would prefer something like Walker's Game Ear, although I have not tried them either. I do not like the looks, or the idea of the external one hitting the stock when I shoot, which is what happens to me at the range now. The externals I wear now are not the electronic ones.

Besides, I would feel a bit odd, running around the woods with those on.

tyler.woodard04

these ones are chopped on the sides and do not hit stocks. very comfortable and sound quality is amazing. had them on at the range the other day and they work amazingly well

janizary

Try the Howard Leights over the Peltor 6S. I've got both and the Peltors, while slightly better, are much thicker and end up bumping my stock alot.

Amplified muffs are great for both protection, normal hearing, as well as actually using them to 'amplify' other ambient noises, in essence increasing your effective hearing to much longer ranges. Sometimes out in the desert shooting I'll hear a truck or motorcycle driving and look about thinking its close, only to realize it is way, WAY off. Great products. Good luck.