Thread: Antelope w/my 6x45

Basic Member

Antelope w/my 6x45

So after practicing shooting mostly 300-400yds at the range the last month solid with my 6x45 Savage build for today Antelope opener the day finally came.
    I was tossing up either the 95 Nosler Hunting BT or the Sierra 85 GKHP. Both shoot almost the same at 300&400 yds.
    I loaded the 95gr shells in.
    I am on WY School Trust Land and sure was glad I got there at 5am, (Until today I have never seen anyone out here ever.
    I ran into 8 others and heard 6 more shots on the other side of this area).
    I waited till dark 6am, hiked about 600 yards to my spot that I have been scoping a nice 13" buck with his group....well I snooze and wake to a shot about 6:30 am about 1/2 mile away.
    Its time as sun is rising nicley.
    I move to another hilltop and see a buck looking at me from about 500 yards off, its about 6:40 am.
    Im bummed its not the BIG guy and his harem...but say Jim you better take what get and be happy.
    I am in my APC kill suit with my florecent hat and flag on my back standing up, I get prone mighty fast, he trots right toward me...500/400/300/200/100 yds stopping every few seconds to look at me...course I blend in pretty well with that gillie on & wonder if my florecent hat is to glowing.
    Im scoping him as he comes thinking heck its going to be 20 feet from me and I will miss since I practiced only at 300-400 all that time....hahahah
    He stops nicely for me & broadside at maybe 100 yds of all things. I put it on his shoulder & shoot.......THHWWAAP!
    It spins around and on a dead run goes 50' over the small crest and I see it waver & stumble and its gone. Its 6:44 am
    & I say to myself, Man that was a solid sounding hit.
    Its down Im sure. I walk down the hill and up to the crest and looking at it I almost miss it...blends in perfectly but there is a red blood trail about 10' long where it skidded.
    Home at 9am, butchered & in the freezer by noon!
    Th 95g Nosler HBT went through it completely taking out the top 1/4 of the heart & knocking out the left shoulder, entry hole was so small I only found it after I skinned it.
    Shoulder bones & parts on the bbq for the dog to enjoy also.
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn400/5spd1/1stAntelope003.jpg[/img]

Re: Antelope w/my 6x45

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

I'm also fortunate to have fresh antelope in the freezer this year. I also just finished putting a cow elk in there as well. :)
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

Great story 5spd, and congrats on the goat.

I am lightly considering having my Mini 14 target, rebored to a 6x45. What kind of velocities do you get with yours? What are the specs on yours, like twist, barrel length etc?

I imagine recoil is negligible since it a big version of a 223. Who made your barrel?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by handirifle
    Great story 5spd, and congrats on the goat.

I am lightly considering having my Mini 14 target, rebored to a 6x45. What kind of velocities do you get with yours? What are the specs on yours, like twist, barrel length etc?

I imagine recoil is negligible since it a big version of a 223. Who made your barrel?
    I built off my original 1985 Savage FP10 .223 action, went with a McGowan SS 1/10" twist, 6 groove, 24" varmint contour bbl w/ 11* target crown.
    The stock is the original tupperware one. I put a Basix Savage #2 trigger on it, set at 1.5lbs.
    The glass is my 20+ yr old BSA platnum target scope 1/8" dot w/target knobs.
    VERY little copper fouling. Cleans up within minutes.
    Recoil is very soft, feels less than the .223 to me.
    Accurate as heck with all my handloads.
    My basic coyote load is 65g vmax at 3017fps w/AA2015 powder.
    My Antelope loads are 95g NHBT at 2653 fps & the Sierra 85g GKHP at 2819 fps w/H335 powder.
    Speer 80g JSP Hotcore at 2900+ fps, but not as accurate as the others.

Basic Member

Wow, pretty impressive numbers. Have you ever tried any of the non lead bullets, like Barnes? Being in Kalifornia, my bullet options are very limited.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by handirifle
    Wow, pretty impressive numbers. Have you ever tried any of the non lead bullets, like Barnes? Being in Kalifornia, my bullet options are very limited.
    I have not tried Barnes or unleaded bullets.

Basic Member

Awesome !!!!

L.H. Clark

Congratulations!!! ;D

I love hearing success stories on handloads and hunting in general. You have done well and are living the dream. That makes me feel much better on converting my .223's to 6mm.

I want to hunt whitetail with mine and think it is feasible if I do my part and put the bullet where it needs to go...........I live in North Mississippi and the deer are not Huge, but good sized and I think a 6mm projectile will do the deed if I place it right. Sweet! Way to go!