Thread: Changing between short/long cartridges in Edge/Axis

Sundo

Changing between short/long cartridges in Edge/Axis

I'm thinking of getting a Edge/Axis in a short caliber (.308 Win) and rebarreling to a long caliber (6.5x55). I understand the actions are the same. I've also read that the trigger guard and magazine are different, but they fit in the same stock.

Is the trigger guard/magazine change easy (and inexpensive) to accomplish? Are there any other changes that I might have to make, like a bolt travel stop, etc.?

Thanks!

Basic Member

Re: Changing between short/long cartridges in Edge/Axis

you can build the 6.5x55 in a short action but seating your bullets long may be an issue. The long action would be the better action to start with IMHO. you can build the 308 in a long action as well. You can put a short bullet in a long action but you cant put a long bullet in a short action.

82boy

There is no difference between a long and short action when dealing with the Axis/Edge rifles, as you have mentioned the difference is the trigger guard, and magazine. The Axis/Edge is an intermediate length, as the bolt are in-between a long and short action Savage. Savage did this to keep cost down. On getting the trigger guard, and magazine, the only supplier I know of for such parts would be Savage. You would have to contact them on price and availability. On changing calibers the bolt stop is controlled by the front baffle on the bolt. I don't know about the 223's but the 22/250 I had used a baffle that had a recess on the side, and would work with any caliber long or short. Here is a torn apart view.
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/82boy/boltdisasembled.jpg[/img]

Hunter1228

I just purchased an Axis in 7mm-08. All that is necessary to change to a long action caliber is to get the long action trigger guard and long action magazine(30-06, 270 etc.) I called Savage today to verify this. I ordered the Long action trigger guard@$4.00 and a 30-06 magazine @ $32.00 Not a bad conversion price!

ibowhunt2

You aren't suggesting that you can shoot a .30 cal bullet out of the 7mm barrel, so aren't you needing to include the new barrel in the conversion cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter1228

I just purchased an Axis in 7mm-08. All that is necessary to change to a long action caliber is to get the long action trigger guard and long action magazine(30-06, 270 etc.) I called Savage today to verify this. I ordered the Long action trigger guard@$4.00 and a 30-06 magazine @ $32.00 Not a bad conversion price!

Basic Member

Maybe he just wants a longer magazine to handle longer bullets.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Hunter1228

In posting what it would take to convert a short action Axis to a long action so it could handle 30-06 length cartridges, in my wildest dreams , I never meant to convey that anyone could shoot a thirty caliber cartridge down a 7mm-08 barrel. It is absolutely necessary to also remove the 7mm-08 barrel and proceed with installing the long action caliber of your choice-ie.25-06, .270 , or 30-06 and then use only the proper ammunition. I have been changing barrels and calibers on Savage rifles for years and thought that was understood, and I apologize for that. I think the Axis is a clever idea and look forward to working with it.

180pilot

OK, I'm looking at the Axis/ Edge parts schematic at Savage, and after reading Randy Wakeman evaluation, it looks and sounded like only the magazine itself was different by having a shim at the rear for shorter cartridges. Can anyone confirm the trigger guard has to be changed out too ??? Just ordered a stainless in 7mm-08 and will send barrel out for ream to .280 Ackley Improved.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 180pilot
    Can anyone confirm the trigger guard has to be changed out too ??? Just ordered a stainless in 7mm-08 and will send barrel out for ream to .280 Ackley Improved.
    I looked at two Axiss (Axes?) last week. A .270 and some other short cartridge (can't remember exactly) They DID have two different length trigger guards.

180pilot

Thanks, so thats another $4.00. ;D I'm having trouble picturing why trigger guard is involved with magazine well. Need to go look at some myself here...Looked at two videos of trigger jobs being done, I can see the length of plastic in trigger guard is different, in two videos, but just cosmetic to cover larger mag well opening with long magazine. Appears it could be simple routed out, but for $ 4 why not have both...

PS ordered longer mag and trigger guard, and found out bolt face is same as 110-111.

Team Savage

180 pilot,205 is my luv