Thread: how to focus a scope reticle

Sundo

how to focus a scope reticle

I've read and tried various techniques for "focusing" the scope reticle on my scope, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

First of all, once it's focused, is it focused for targets at all distances? I thought I had it focused at 100 yds. When I look at a much closer object, I can't focus my eyes on the reticle and the target at the same time. Is the objective of reticle focusing to focus it at one selected distance?

Also, if the reticle is focused at one magnification, is it focused at all magnifications?

The technique I've used is to look at a distance object, bring up the scope, and check if the reticle is clear. If I turn the focus ring (on the ocular) completely counter-clockwise, the reticle gets obviously blurry. As I turn it clockwise, it gets better, but there's a wide range of ocular turns that looks equally focused to me. Is this good enough, or is there some way to get the ideal focus?

Thanks!

thomae

Re: how to focus a scope reticle

If you describe your scope a little better, some of the experts may be able to provide a more intelligent answer.
    Fixed or variable? Adjustable Objective? Side Focus? First Focal plane or Second Focal plane reticule? (Brand and Model may help as there may be someone out there with the identical scope who has the answer you seek.)

Most scopes have a minimum range. For example: Good scopes designed for air rifles will focus at 10 meters because competitions are often at that distance. Scopes designed for long range shooting will often not focus on targets that close.

With my second focal plane scopes, I bring the reticule into focus by screwing in or out the rearmost lens until the crosshairs/reticule are in sharp focus. They tend to stay in focus even as I change power or adjust my focus. I don't own any First Focal Plane variable power scopes so I can't speak to those.

All the best,

Focusing the reticle is done by adjusting the rear eye-piece on scopes so equipped. To properly adjust it for your eyes, point it up into the sky on a clear sunny day and adjust until the reticle is sharp and crisp. That's it...no need to mess with it again unless one your your buddies moves it. The side-focus or adjustable objective (if equipped) is used for to get a clear, sharp image of the target and should have no effect on reticle sharpness. Scopes without a SF or AO typically have the parallax calibrated for 100 yards, but check the scopes specifications just to make sure (some shotgun scopes are calibrated for 75 yards, and most air rifle/rimfire scopes are calibrated to 50 or 60 yards).

Think of it like a magnifying glass when trying to read a paper. There's a specific distance the lens needs to be at between you and the paper to provide the best clarity for your eye sight. It's the same principal in the scope with your eye, lens and reticle. All the way in on the eye-piece is typically calibrated for 20/20 vision, so the worse your vision the more you're going to have to back it out). If you can't get the eye piece focused to provide a crisp, clear reticle you may want to schedule an eye exam.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

roadkill46

as said above, and if you have a stygmatism and a dot scope i suggest distance only glasses, work great no starburst effect. once i get the very last ring adjusted so the crosshairs are crisp, i take a thin point silver marker and make a line that goes from the scope across the top of the ring so that way if it gets knocked out of focus or someone messes with it, i just have to line up the line and i'm back to my eye setting. could use any color, i just happen to have a permanent silver marker that does not come off with cleaning stuff.

shootist

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious
    Focusing the reticle is done by adjusting the rear eye-piece on scopes so equipped. To properly adjust it for your eyes, point it up into the sky on a clear sunny day and adjust until the reticle is sharp and crisp. That's it...no need to mess with it again unless one your your buddies moves it. The side-focus or adjustable objective (if equipped) is used for to get a clear, sharp image of the target and should have no effect on reticle sharpness. Scopes without a SF or AO typically have the parallax calibrated for 100 yards, but check the scopes specifications just to make sure (some shotgun scopes are calibrated for 75 yards, and most air rifle/rimfire scopes are calibrated to 50 or 60 yards).

Think of it like a magnifying glass when trying to read a paper. There's a specific distance the lens needs to be at between you and the paper to provide the best clarity for your eye sight. It's the same principal in the scope with your eye, lens and reticle. All the way in on the eye-piece is typically calibrated for 20/20 vision, so the worse your vision the more you're going to have to back it out). If you can't get the eye piece focused to provide a crisp, clear reticle you may want to schedule an eye exam.

Excellant advice