Thread: Pillar Bedding a Synthetic 110 Stock

Escondido

Pillar Bedding a Synthetic 110 Stock

Anyone have experience in pillar bedding a factory synthetic 110 stock? I bought the pillars but it looks like drilling a hole for the rear pillar could break over into the magazine well. Would appreciate your input if you have successfully done this particular stock.

Escondido

Re: Pillar Bedding a Synthetic 110 Stock

Has nobody pillar bedded a 110 stock?

Grit #1

I have pillar bedded quite a few Remington 700 plastic stocks. The problem is that the foreend is weak. I usually use aluminum arrow shafts to stiffen the foreend. I bring the arrow shafts all the way back to the recoil lug area. I use two. One is better than nothing. The only bedding material that sticks is Devcon (I use Devcon Steel) I under cut the stock to lock the bedding in and I really hog the stock out. I use several layers of red PVC tape in the barrel area that I want to free float The Devon goes from the forend to the rear tang of the action. I use plumber's putty to fill the voids that I do not want to fill with bedding. I use black shoe polish as a release agent. I would not worry about drilling through the the Devcon will take care of that. With a plastic stock the pillars are really not needed. They were used in wood stocks and hollow fibre glass stocks to keep the floor plate from crushing the stock when the screws were tightened. A plastic stock will not crush. I have done it both ways and now I don not pillar bed plastic stocks. I have not seen any improvement using pillars.
    That is the way I do it.
    Best regards,
    Grit

Basic Member

Try a search for pillar bedding
    You should be able to find some previous posts
    Jack

thomae

Grit #1:
    Sorry to nit pick, but do you mean Devcon Stainless Steel Putty (ST) product number 10270:
    http://www.devcon.com/products/produ...tty%20%28ST%29

Or do you mean Plastic Steel® Putty (A), product number 10110, 10120, or 10130 depending on the size:
    http://www.devcon.com/products/produ...m?familyid=101

or do you mean something entirely different?
    ...Devcon makes so many epoxies, puttys, etc..., I want to be sure I don't get the wrong one.
    Thanks!

davemuzz

;D I never knew Davcon made different "stuff". Good question!! But....like the red "S" on super womans chest...(Yeah baby....I like to watch her more than him!!!) we posters always have answers....maybe not RIGHT answers.....but by goodness....answers none the less!!!

Check out this link and you will have your answer post hast!! http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html

(Scroll down the post......it's the 10110 "stuff")

Dave

Escondido

Thanks all - the comments were good and the last link was really helpful. I think I will be able to properly install the pillars and then bed the action. :) I have the Devcon 2 syringe pack and aluminum pillars.

Grit #1

You can use steel, stainless steel, aluminum, or titanium. Depend on how deep your pockets are.
    I have used the aluminum when weight is an issue otherwise I use the steel I buy the 49.00 size from MSC (Manhattan Supply Company) carries all four including a quick set and a liquid and a reducer.
    Best regards,
    Grit