Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 3-9 for hunting? (Udate 6/16 with a surprising scope comparison.)

Basic Member

Best 3-9 for hunting? (Udate 6/16 with a surprising scope comparison.)

Looking for a non A/0 scope with a standard duplex type reticle. Not set on 40/44/50 mm objective and target turrets won't be needed.

Leupolds obviously come to mind, would like to look through a Zeiss as well.

Hope to keep it under $400-500.

Suggestions?

jmg8550

Re: Best 3-9 for hunting?

I just picked up a Vortex Diamondback 4-12X40 that is the same size as a 3X9. It was $200 shipped. Haven't mounted it yet (still waiting for my 111 to arrive). Looks to be of fairly good quality. And there warranty is unbeatable. So far I'm impressed. We'll see when the range report is complete.

Team Savage

Take a look at the Leupold VX-3 and VX-R with the CDS turrets in 3-9x40. Simple, no-clutter duplex reticle with the ability to dial in long distance dope if the need every arises. The Fire-Dot in the VX-R model is a nice addition for low light conditions when it's hard to see the reticle against a dark background. I like the lighter weight and compact design of the Leupold scope, plus the high quality Alumina accessories. My old eyes don't see anything wrong with the new VX-3 glass that's as we would say is not just being nit-picky. I've tried and sold about every brand of scope in this price range and a Leupold seems to hold its resale value the best. You mentioned the Ziess Conquest, but other's I've owned that deserve a look are the Vortex Viper and Sightron II Big-Sky models.

Basic Member

Thanks for the replies.

I have a Vortex on my 20 Practical, great scope for the money.

I also have a Redfield Revolution, it too is a great scope for the money.

I'll have to look through the others to see how they compare. I'd really like to have something a little clearer and crisper on this rifle. I don't mind paying more for better glass, I just don't want to pay 80% more money for 10% better quality.

nsaqam

In a 3-9x40 I'd go with the Zeiss Conquest or the Bushnell Elite 4200. Simply superb glass for the money. Especially the Bushnell being as it's so inexpensive.
    That said, I'd seriously look at the Minox ZA5 1.5-8x32. Wonderful optics, magnificently useful mag range, relatively lightweight.

Basic Member

I'll check it out thanks.

Also- good point regarding weight. I'm actually looking to add a little weight to this rifle so a heavier scope wouldn't be a disadvantage.

Basic Member

ive got a weaver grand slam 3-10x40 thats pretty good glass.

Team Savage

Based on your additional input, I'd have to agree with nsaqam, the Bushnell Elite 4200 has superb glass for a great price, it is a little heavier and also features the Rainguard glass coating which works as advertized. However, Bushnell has discontinued them and I am not sure if the new Bushnell Elite model has the same glass as the old Elite 4200.

Basic Member

Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out. I've never owned a higher end Bushnell, didn't know the glass was that good.

nsaqam

The new Bushnell Elite Series which replaced the 4200's has glass just as good as the previous model and also has a new Rainguard which is more scratch resistant.
    I and others have been of the opinion for many years now since the 4200's came out that there wasn't a scope which could compete with them for the price. They rival scopes costing much much more.
    Not only is the glass superb but the construction is stout, the adjustments crisp and repeatable, and the warranty top shelf.

Basic Member

I agree that the bushnell 4200 is an excellent scope and I havent looked through a scope that as better than it in that price range. Next step up from it is a sightron or zeiss conquest. After recently spending a lot of time behind my vortex viper, I will not own another one. the scope functions great, I just can't get over how horrible the eye box is on it. I say go with a bushnell or nikon monarch and will you will be more than pleased.

Basic Member

Not knowing what cartridge or the weight of the rifle, is eye relief a concern??

Basic Member

Eye relief is always a concern for a hunting rifle. Even if you are shooting a mildly recoiling deer rifle there are a number of factors that come into play. Quick shouldering, multiple layers of clothing, various shooting positions, an unexpected opportunity etc. A narrow eye box on a bench gun is irrelevant, on a hunting rifle it has a bigger impact.

Leupold VX 2 or 3. Cant go wrong.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

jeffreyC

From what I understand the glass in Bushnell Elite scopes comes from the same factory as the glass in Nightforce scopes.

For the price the Nikon Pro-Staff can't be beat. I have one on my Rem 660 in 308 with no problems. Very clear.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member

i agree. dollar for dollar, the Pro-Staff is gonna be hard to beat

jmg8550

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyC
    From what I understand the glass in Bushnell Elite scopes comes from the same factory as the glass in Nightforce scopes.

Might come from the same factory (I believe Japanese for the Nightforce) but definitely not the same quality. Glass is graded kinda like high end wood stocks. Just because one lens might be twice as good as another, doesn't mean it costs twice as much. It can cost 10 times as much.

On another topic... What exactly is an "eye box"? I've never heard that term before.

nsaqam

Eye box is the left to right, up to down leeway one has behind a scope where you have a full view through the scope.
    Some people include the fore and aft leeway as well but that is really eye relief.

nsaqam

Nightforce glass is not impressive given the price. They are stout, reliable, repeatable, accurate, and precise but the glass is simply so so.

Basic Member

I agree that nightforce is a great scope, but their glass isn't quite as nice as its reputation would lead you to believe. My shooting buddy has one, and my weaver t36 was very similar in clarity, brightness etc.

jmg8550

Anybody compare scopes on an optical resolution chart. That would give a better idea of how good the glass is in a particular scope as far as clarity. Also, ones own vision contributes to that.

Quote Originally Posted by nsaqam
    Eye box is the left to right, up to down leeway one has behind a scope where you have a full view through the scope.
    Some people include the fore and aft leeway as well but that is really eye relief.
    That is one of my complaints about Leupold is you have to be exactly straight behind them to get a full view. I have several Vipers and Leupold VXIIIs and Sightron IIIs, and so far the only complaint with the Vipers is I wish they were a higher power.

nsaqam

Quote Originally Posted by jmg8550
    Anybody compare scopes on an optical resolution chart. That would give a better idea of how good the glass is in a particular scope as far as clarity. Also, ones own vision contributes to that.
    John Barsness ( Mule Deer on 24hourcampfire.com) does those comparisons.

I agree on the point about ones own vision having a lot to do with perceived clarity.

308law

I really like the Zeiss Conquest in that price point, and for a little more the Swarovski Z3 3x9x36 is an incredible scope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast