Thread: 6.5x55 - Need Hunting Load Advice

Basic Member

6.5x55 - Need Hunting Load Advice

I'm looking for some advice to get better accuracy from hunting bullets for my build project. So far, the target bullets outperform the hunting bullets, so I’m looking for improve accuracy for the hunting rounds. My current setup is:

Stevens 200 Long Action
    24" McGowen Stainless Match Grade Barrel (6.5X55) - 1X8 Twist
    Timney Trigger
    Bell Carlson Duramaxx Stock (not bedded)
    Vortex Viper 6.5x20mm Scope

Primary use hunting, secondary use - long range/tactical

Results to date (after approx 50-75 rounds)

Nosler AccuBond Bullets 130gr (Various loads with H4350 or R19) = approx 1 1/16th group at 100 yards

Hornady Amax 120gr (R19 load) = approx 9/16 group at 100 yards

Lapua Scenar 123gr (H4350 or R19) = approx ¼ group at 100 yards

Any thoughts on other hunting bullets I should consider?

seanhagerty

Re: 6.5x55 - Need Hunting Load Advice

Sierra 140 gr SBT.

Basic Member

Fyi - hunting Whitetail, Hogs, Auodad sheep in Texas Hill Country @ 100-400 yards

davemuzz

I get great (fantastic) results using RL-22 and:

Hornady 129gr. SST (This is my WY Antelope load for next week's trip!!!)
    Barnes 120Gr. Triple X
    Berger 140gr VLD

I get superb accuracy from all three of these bullets. I use only Lapua or Norma brass as RP will not hold up to more than 3 reloads. I load the maximum loads for the Hornady and the Barnes, and for the Berger, I have worked it up to 1.6gr over the Berger recommended maximum load. I DO NOT recommend that anyone do this just willy-nilly. I worked this load up using .5 to .25gr increase at a time and checked each piece of brass for pressure signs. I have shot about 100 rounds of this with no pressure issues, and the velocity is over 2700fps. Clover leaf at 100 yards and sub-moa at 200 and 300 yards.

Sub MOA with the Hornady's and Barnes as well. I am choosing the Hornady's for my WY trip as I shot those all summer at groundhogs here in Pa at ranges from 200 to 600 yards and I simply have a boatload of confidence in them. Besides, they are more than enough to flip an antelope.

Dave

+1 What Dave said!

I think I would try some slower powders in your McGowen.

Basic Member

I'm using a .260 Remington myself (not much difference) and these are my two favorites. The Partition is not quite as accurate as the Barnes 120 gr. TSX but it's got a good reputation for downing game. One hunting bullet I've tested that will keep up with match bullets is the Nosler 120 gr. Ballistic Tip.

Five shots at 200 yards with the 120 gr. Ballistic Tip.

[img width=600 height=307]http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/pbcaster45/Nosler120grBallisticTips200yards.jpg[/img]

Barnes 120 gr. Tipped TSX
    Nosler 125 gr. Partition

Good info here on bullet performance.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...pics/4851238/1

Guy went to a lot of work on his tests! Unfortunately some think that weight retention is the key to great bullet performance. Berger does not think this is necessarily so. Barnes for example had great weight retention and the much advertised mushroom head. On the other hand, the Berger bullet had low weight retention and came apart. Most hunters think this is bad. You will notice in the comments made by readers of the thread that the Barnes was "the bullet."

Berger actually used the research data that Barnes paid for to show the superiority of the Barnes over the Berger. Berger took the Barnes videos and made their own advertisement. When you look at the video test results the Barnes penetrated and created a wound cavity. The Berger also penetrated as deeply, came apart and created a much larger wound cavity.
    There is no doubt that the Barnes is a very good bullet but so is the Berger. The two companies have a different philosophy on what makes a great hunting bullet. Both are good but I like Berger's philosophy mo betta.

Basic Member

Here's another good link on bullet performance I forgot to send. I tend to make my bullet choices based on what I've seen during feral hog hunts. I prefer to see hogs DRT after a bullet hit! Hogs are mean and I don't like tracking them in the brush. I've helped others track hogs after a bad shot and it's no fun. I must be doing something right - my nickname is "One Shot Johnny"!

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Know...se/6.5x55.html

And yes, performance on feral hogs is the main reason I'm such a fan of the .338 Federal!

Quote from the above website.

The Swede can be a slow killer at ranges beyond 200 yards. Conventional projectiles, regardless of SD, often fail to produce deep penetration. The 6.5x55 is simply not in the same class as the .270 which it is often compared to, regardless of hype.
    Without regard to SD? Duh?

This is so much BS it hardly deserves comment. One of the hall marks of the 6.5 is deep penetration.However let's look at some numbers. A modern chambered Swede with a 140g bullet with a BC of .619 (there aren't any 270 140g bullets with a BC that high) launched at 2800fps arrives at 500yds with a velocity of 2095fps and an energy level of 1365ftlbs. A 270 with a 140g with a BC of .495 launched at 2900fps arrives at 500 yards with a velocity of 2026 and an energy level of 1276. Both rifles fired with equal length barrels. Why would the 270 be a "fast killer" past 200 and the Swede a "slow killer" past 200? Actual performance ain't hype!

davemuzz

Quote Originally Posted by wbm
    . Both rifles fired with equal length barrels. Why would the 270 be a "fast killer" past 200 and the Swede a "slow killer" past 200? Actual performance ain't hype!
    Well now wbm.....don't you know that 270 is a higher number than 6.5? I mean...right there is your answer!!! I'm surprised...I gotta tell you everything!!! ::) This means that the 270 is 41.5 (give or take) times BETTER than the 6.5. 'Cause 6.5 x 41.5 = 270...roughly. See!!! ;D :D

See what you mean Dave. I never was good at ciphering. But I have an excuse. On account of genetics, and some other things, I figure there's three kinds of people in the world...them what's good at math and them what ain't. ;D

davemuzz

See.....your better at math than you thought. Just.....don't ask me to shoot any of your reloads. ;D

I have found that a case full of Unique and 160 Woodleigh's will shoot over two miles in my Swede. ;D

Have a long barrel Shilen in 6.5 SE on the way. You still shooting the Swede?

davemuzz

WMB,

I have a Savage M-12 with a Shilen barrel chambered in the Swede for hunting. I also have a 1915 C. Gustfson (sp) M-96 with all matching numbers except the cartridge floor plate and the handguard. The old warhorse is an excellent shooter!!!

The new Savage is also an excellent shooter!! I love the cartridge. All the downrange energy of the 308 and half the recoil.

Dave

My M96 is 1910 vintage. All matching numbers except for the front barrel band. With 140g SMK and IMR4895 it just amazes me.

davemuzz

Yes!! A 140gr Nosler bullet and RL-22 in mine and, from a bench at 100 yards....it will give me a 5 shot group of about 1.75". That's with open sights! Not bad for a rifle with a 100 year old barrel!!! I shoot mine every once in a while in our Club's CMP shoot. It's just a good time to get out the old war horse and clean the dust out of it. ;D

Dave

Any thoughts on other hunting bullets I should consider?
    I probably would go with a 140g Sierra Game King and work up loads with RL-22. I think you're rifle will shoot better than the groups you are getting so I would suggest the Sierra's and a powder that is known to give good groups. I have a Sierra V manual and can give you load data for that bullet if you need it. The loads are for the M96 Mauser with a 29" barrel but with you're modern chamber you can go above the loads listed. At least it gives you a good starting point. Also if you do a site search for 6.5x55 members have posted loads that have worked well in their Savage based Swedes.

Basic Member

Just found this thread, my old swede shoots 95 vmax and 100gr nosler BT's very smartly and they knock most things over. Also 140sst's shoot very well, I shot these at 500 metres and was moa with a 3-9 scope i figured that was a good effort. IN the swede the slower powders that fill up the case seem to work best from my experience although I have not hot loaded my old swede.

Ryan