Thread: To bed or not???

Browningguy

To bed or not???

For those of you with experience, I am getting ready to rebarrel my 12 FV and while it's apart was wanting some input on whether it's worthwhile to bed the one piece base to the action? I'm currently using Zee rings so I think I can get away from using a 20 MOA base and just keep the standard base. I have a Weaver GS 6.5-20 scope, the majority of my shooting is at 600 yards or less, although I do have the opportunity to shoot up to 1000 over the next year.

The new barrel by the way is a Lothar Walther, 28", 8 twist, varmint contour chambered for .243.

DGD6MM

Re: To bed or not???

Most of mine are bedded. My input is I think it does help, to what extent , I'm not sure.

dcloco

If nothing else, removes an unknown variable from the equation.

I scuff the bottom of the bases with a drum roll on my dremel, apply Mother's Carnuba car wax to the action/threads/base screws, mix up some JB weld, apply to base (leaving 1/8" gap between edge of JB weld and hole through base(s)), and torque in place. Whatever oozes out, let it. After bedding compound is dry, scribed a mark in the bedding compound at the mating edge, and break off by prying up.

Basic Member

I just bedded my first base to my 112. I screwed only the front screws down and the back of the base had a gap. So I scuffed the base up, back part only, and bedded per directions you can find all over the internet. Now no matter what screws I tighten first the whole base makes nice solid contact. Its so easy to do, and it eliminates a "what if", so why not just do it.

Browningguy

Thanks for the input, I'll give it a try.

Basic Member

It just depends for me. If there are any noticeable gaps or one end of the base lifts up when the other end is tightened, then bed it without hesitation. On rifles where the fit is good, I've never personally seen a tangible benefit to bedding the base, but if you're looking for maximum precision, it certainly doesn't hurt anything.

[b]A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire (1694-1778)[/b]

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.