Thread: 4.5-14ish scopes best bang for buck

Basic Member

4.5-14ish scopes best bang for buck

Ok so here's the question.. I am looking for a scope in the what I consider low to middle magnification range, as I would also like one with the following: lighted mil-dot reticle that's useable, target turrets, side focus and decient glass. I'm partial to bushnell but don't want to spend 899 for their new ffp scopes anyone have experience with other brands that are built well?? Please inform me of what you personally like or have had good luck with. Thanks ahead of time..
    couple of savages

logic factory

Re: 4.5-14ish scopes best bang for buck

based on the research i did recently it seems like these following two scopes do a job much better than what their msrp warrants; the sightron sIII and the vortex viper pst.
    i have no direct experience with either of them but have read enough great reviews that i may have to toss a coin to determine which one i eventually purchase.

Basic Member

A great thank you for your input I have spoke with Scott at liberty briefly about longer range scopes but am looking for something bulletproof in the midrange sector I've read as you have and heard nothing but greatness on the 2 scopes you mention
    couple of savages

logic factory

sorry for posting incorrect information. i thought both the scopes i listed offered a power range you were looking for but upon further inspection it is only the vortex viper that has a 4-16. i will follow this thread and look forward to hearing your review.

seanhagerty

Nikon has a Buckmaster scope in that Mag range. I have a 6-18X that is a great glass. I cant imagine the 4.5-14 being any different.

dcloco

Do you really need a lighted reticle?

I would recommend a 4.5-14x 40 or 50 Leupold. Buy a Mark 4 if you really want a lighted reticle.

dcloco

PS - check your PM.

Basic Member

Thankya dcloco and no I don't "need" a lit reticule but doing night time coyote hunting without one is a pita if you get a nice low ill. Reticle it makes finding crosshairs at night lots easier •+• kinda looks like that lol if I'm gonna buy one I'm gonna get what I feel I need instead of ring unhappy with it
    couple of savages

dcloco

AH...gotcha.

Then, yes, you will need a lighted reticle.

kslefty

Please check your p.m.'s may have something to help you out.

roadkill46

Weaver has a 1-6x24 FFP for $379 on sale at midway. have read nothing but good reviews except for your typical red dot wash out in full sun, but it has a black reticle so who would need it in full sun anyway. i ordered one, should be here next week. i'm spoiled on FFP, and this seemed to be the best bang for the buck.

Basic Member

LEt me know how that works out weaver has got some good products coming to the market now a days and more and more manufactures are installing the tactical turrets and side focus and lit reticles for fast coyote hunting a 3-9x40 with no extra bells are great but finding a good med power scope is key when you need that precision 3-400yard shot where you are far enough way to take ur time very seldom but it does happen
    couple of savages

roadkill46

i'll let you know when i get it, should be here next week. i have already handled one and they seem very nice. my friend that has one on his 458 socom AR so i know it takes recoil. they are a little heavy but i really dont care. i will zero sometime around 10-14-11, then i'll post on how it does. I start SERIOUS predator hunting (as in every weekend, truck bed camping, out on the quad EVERY weekend all over the state of Arizona come Halloween as it is still in the upper 90's until then, then it just cuts off and gets cold like in the 60's!! I'm originally from Indiana so i know about the 77 below zero wind chill, retired from the Army here in AZ! The scope is going on a sub moa bushmaster predator 20 inch 1:7, CMC trigger and just a beautiful shooting gun. I'll keep you posted but it may be awhile. thanx

Basic Member

Well roadkill I'm sure you've been told before but thank you for your service. Yes here in Indiana it does get quite cold I can vividly recall last year me and my r700 .223 looking like an icecycle for 2 days straight on a comp. Hunt lol. I like to buy right and buy once, I also believe like many others that scopes that are reliable, repeatable, and clear can be had for less than $1k I myself am on a rather limited budget so I like bang for buck I also realize that qc is usually a human. Here in Indiana its hard to find a store that carrys anything other than nikon and leupold. Theres more than one way to skin a cat
    couple of savages

maxima2

Konus - I'm happy with mine and the price is good too. It's a heavy scope though.

Basic Member

Have you looked at the Millet TRS-1 Tactical scopes? http://swfa.com/Millett-4-16x50-TRS-...pe-P42548.aspx
    I don't have the Tactical lineup but I do have the Buck Gold Scopes, and they are pretty nice.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member

Psharon97 yes I have looked and looked and looked again at the millet line up and love everything about them except the light reticle is on the wrong side for a left handed shooter I think I'm just gonna save my nickles and dimes and go with either the ffp bushnell or the viper pst ffp both have excellent reviews and see what happens any other input is always appreciated thanks
    couple of savages