Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 17Hornet

Timbob1

Re: 17Hornet

I was one of those guys that bought 17 Honrnet from Midway. Lot of good it does with nothing to put it in.

Question-Do you know if the Ackley 17 Hornet is the same as the 17 Hornet? I did find a Cooper Arms in Ackley 17 Hornet. I called Cooper and they didn't have an answer.

Thanks

1SHOT1KILL

Quote Originally Posted by Timbob1
    I was one of those guys that bought 17 Honrnet from Midway. Lot of good it does with nothing to put it in.

Question-Do you know if the Ackley 17 Hornet is the same as the 17 Hornet? I did find a Cooper Arms in Ackley 17 Hornet. I called Cooper and they didn't have an answer.

Thanks
    No, the 17 Ackley Hornet and the 17 Hornet are no the same thing. They both are made off the 22 Hornet case, but the 17 Hornet is basically a necked downed 22 Hornet and the 17 Ackley Hornet ressembles the K-Hornet.

davemuzz

Quote Originally Posted by 1SHOT1KILL
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbob1

Thanks
    No, the 17 Ackley Hornet and the 17 Hornet are no the same thing. They both are made off the 22 Hornet case, but the 17 Hornet is basically a necked downed 22 Hornet and the 17 Ackley Hornet ressembles the K-Hornet.
    Yeah......what he said. ;D

mcho

I talked to Savage yesterday and the 25 has been pushed back to April/May now. Hope I can get one in time for hunting in November. (2012) > Mark

davemuzz

Crap.....April\May!!!!.....that sucks!! Just for "funzies" today I had a few 22 hornet brass pieces, so I took one of 'em and ran it into my 17 Fireball sizer die just to see how easy or hard the neck would size down. The neck sized down very easy. So, I would not be "scared" of buying 22 Hornet brass and sizing it down to 17 for reloading purposes.

Dave

fivesomewhere

Got my Guns and Ammo mag. in yesterday, Boddington does the article on Savage 25 in .17 hornet.

davemuzz

;D Yeah....and Bottington is a "Big Bore" gun nut. He did a pretty good....or I should say "fair" job of reviewing the new Savage. Anyway.....I'm still waiting with cash in hand to buy the plastic walking one.

I just hope this doesn't turn out to be like what happen when the "gun Mfg" went to release the 45-GAP ammo. I was waiting to buy a 1911 in 45-GAP....but the gun rags did all of the reviews about the 45-GAP ammo, then it actually took another year and a half before the gun makers released their 1911's that actually shot the stuff.

By then I already bought a new 1911 in 45ACP and never looked back.

But.....I think Savage has these made and in storage. (I would think anyway) I just want to get one so I have it ready to whack fox and other small furry things for this fall. Plus....I just need another excuse to "go to the range honey".

fivesomewhere

:D

17 HMR was a 3 year wait! caseless .223 never happened. Hogue stocks were 7 years.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

And the 5.7 X 28 too. Still wonder what their adversion is to an existing cartridge with almost the same footprint as the .17 or 5.7: as in .221fb? Have to admit, I aim to own one of the plastic 17's. Wouldn't that make a great Stryker caliber!

Dave, how is your .17 working on the savage action?

davemuzz

Quote Originally Posted by appleseed
    Dave, how is your .17 working on the savage action?
    The 17 Fireball works OK. I do get occasional jams with it, but for the most part, the second and third rounds feed well. I have a CZ 221 Fireball detachable magazine that I have modified the Savage in order for it to accept the little cartridge. Even though the magazine holds 5, if I load more than 3 in the magazine I find that the spring tension is too much and the first few rounds will simply not load at all.

So, I'm looking forward to the Model 25 for a smooth functioning magazine, plus a bit smaller rifle to maneuver around....when hunting fox at night.

Basic Member

I stole your cz mag insert idea and it worked fine on the bigger action. Then, traded for a cz switch barrel from SinArms. I agree with you, the little savage 25 will be just right...especially on a stryker build!

davemuzz

Ha. Well....I didn't have a patent on the "idea." In fact, the idea came to me from reading all of the post on this forum. I like this place....it's one of the few that you don't get "blasted" if you post something really stupid. (not like I've ever done something like that :P)

Big Old Boy

I just read the G.A. review and I can't wait come on Savage lets get it done.

i

i

davemuzz

;D Yup!! ;D

davemuzz

Well, Ok....here's what I did!!!.....I ordered 2 boxes of Hornady Factory ammo (I NEVER order factory ammo) for the .17 Hornet 'cause Midway had 'em in stock, then I also ordered the dies for the 17 Hornet, 'cause Midway had 'em in stock, then I just ordered another 50 pieces of brass on backorder for the .17 Hornet while I was at it.

So....I'll have all the "stuff" for a gun that doesn't exist yet!!!

It's an illness.

Dave

mcho

Don't feel too bad. I have all of that and a scope and Bi-Pods. All I need now is a sling. O Yah! I need the gun. Come on Savage. Mark

davemuzz

Well Mark......if they don't release the rifle, I'll either be forced to buy a CZ......or return my 17 Hornet dies....and fireform my brass into the 22 Hornet. One way or another....I'll have a rifle named after a flying stinging bug!!!

weewilly

I have ammo dies and cases, Now where are the rifles? They have been advertised in several magazines so we know there have been some made and tested. Sure not much news out of Savage, some one should have some idea when they will be available.weewilly

Big Old Boy

well I have it all ammo and gun. I have given up on the Savage my son bought me a Ruger 77 target in 22-250. I'll see if next year they make the gun.Oh ya I got a BLR in 358 W. for a new deer rifle.

GotCox

So at this point you can almost make your own 17 hornet as the ammo, dies, cases are all there.......now if they just had a chamber reamer.....lol

davemuzz

Well.....almost....I sent an email to Hornady last week asking them when they were going to release some reloading data for the 17 Hornet. I haven't got an answer yet. (No surprise!!!!)

mcho

The chamber reamer is available and you can get started reloading by reducing the 17AH loads and working up. Mark

davemuzz

Mark!!!....I knew that all along!!! The reloading data I mean. ;D Thanks!! I never even gave that a thought!!! (Heck, just look at my Avatar and you can understand why :D)

moorepower

Load data is available. A1680 looks to be the powder of choice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12