Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17Hornet

Basic Member

17Hornet

I'm not sure where to post this ... so I'll try here.

In the electronic edition of Rifle magazine, Terry Wieland has reported on Hornady's legitimisation of the 17AckleyHornet and its field testing in a pair of Savage rifles.

Any thoughts what they may have been?
    Cheers...
    Con

JasonNC

Re: 17Hornet

I'm going to guess that one of them was probably a model 25, or maybe both of them were. No need to chamber it in one of the larger and heavier model 12's. I guess we will see on Nov. 2nd when Savage unveils their 2012 products on their Facebook page.

Basic Member

Got a link to that? Didn't see it in a search, maybe for fee?

Basic Member

Looks like it is advertized in 2012, the model 25, along with a couple other new calibers.

Since it is so new a question is the 17 Hornet a rim or center fire rifle

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by Balljoint
    Since it is so new a question is the 17 Hornet a rim or center fire rifle
    Not really a new cartrdige - just a legitimization of the old wildcat. It is center fire. Here is a link to Hornady's page:

http://www.hornady.com/store/Superfo...armint-NewAmmo

The 17 Hornet will be available in select Model 25's for 2012.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Big Old Boy

Well now Iknow what my new woodchucker will be!!!

Chrisg19

Awesome! I had a 17 Hornet built on a Contender years ago, still kicking myself for getting rid of it. Such a sweet shooting cartridge and easy on powder. Conserve resources, shoot a 17.

davemuzz

I'd probably buy one of these....even though I currently have a "converted" Stevens in a 17 Fireball. It would free up the Stevens action.....for something else!!! ;D

andy221

I talked to customer service at savage today about the 17 hornet they said it will be available in the model 25. Also the model 25 is going to have a barrel nut now. I could not get any other specifics from the lady I talked to. I think that is some great news!

davemuzz

Savage already has the 17 Hornet in the M-25 listed on their web site. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/ Just click the Lightweight Varmiter Series and anyone of the 3 listed are in the 17 Hornet. Just pick what you want.

I clicked the link, but the rifles are not yet shipped out. But when they are...yeah...for sure there will be one in my safe!!!

Big Old Boy

i will get one to.

davemuzz

So......as my Grandmother use to say to me....."What's the matter with you Boy??...You got ant's in your pants???" Do we have any idea when Savage will actually ship these Model 25's in the 17-Hornet caliber? 'Cause I am simply itchin to get my grubby little paws on one....and shoot it....and reload the cartridge ....and shoot it again, and again, and again.

Oh....and buy a scope for it.....'n stuff. 'n stuff. 'n stuff.

Anyone know? Huh? Huh? Huh?

How about now?

Now?

Maybe Now?

mcho

I was told the ammo and dies will ship this month. ( Hornady ) The rifles will be Feb.--Apr. ( Savage ) One can only HOPE! Mark

In my latest Shooting Times magazine hornady has an add for the "17 Hornet".

They say it has comparable trajectory to a 55 gr .223 round. Should be a great walking gun for out to 300 yards, with only 6.4 inches of drop (with 200 yard zero).

I have loaded the 22 hornet before and the cases are so thin that I ruined a few. You have to be sure to have the bullet lined up very well before you try to seat it. I would still like to have one

Big Old Boy

I was told the ammo still not in production yet but soon.

409impala1

midsouth should have ammo available this week? supposedly cz and ruger will make one as well. can't wait to get a savage in 17 hornet as my 22 hornet is fun as heck.

davemuzz

A few nights ago I had a raccoon "visit" my patio. Well....he met a 20gr. Berger .17 Fireball at 4 feet right between the eyes. For sure it re-arranged his eyes.....but no real fur damage. And of course, DRT. That's the beauty of the 17. Deadly on fur bearing animals....but no destruction of the prime fur. I'm looking forward to Savage releasing there model 25. It will be a lighter than my current Stevens re-barreled in .17 Fireball.....plus I'll free up an action to make a....???????? ;D ;D ;D

davemuzz

So....... ;D ;D ??? ???....I have the itch to call Savage and ask 'em when they are gonna release the .17 Hornet.....but, I'm really trying to be an adult about it....and demonstrate that I have patience. BUT MAN.....IT'S REALLY TOUGH!!! Anyone know???

Basic Member

So is this 17 Hornet or 17 Ackley Hornet as the first couple posters seemed to think??

The ammo that Hornady is producing is for 17 Hornet, according to the advertisement I saw last month.

Timbob1

I just bought 500 rounds of Hornady 17 Hornet and I still can't find anyone that can tell me when the model 25 17 Hornet will be released from Savage.

Help

Big Old Boy

i was told by the end of March we will see.

davemuzz

I was told by Savage it was the end of Feb. Well...."The end has come and gone" (It's gonna be like a Mayan end of the world thing!!!) but no release yet!! Timbob....you must have been one of those guys who snatched up some of the ammo that Midway got in. I had it on my wish list.....but there supply came in and was sold out in one day!!!!

I'm waiting for the dies 'n brass.....I hate to buy factory ammo. I'm just a chepiee at heart!!!

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast