Hello,

I have been lurking for a while now and learned a lot, so thank you all for that. I wanted to give a little review on my experiences with my Model 12 LRP in 260 rem. I wanted to get into the long range game, but like most did not have unlimited funds. Rather than blow my whole budget on a full custom rig and have little left for optics, i elected give this new offering from savage a try and throw a quality piece of glass on top. I havent found too many reviews for this rifle online so maybe some of you will find it intersting.

Here are the specs:

Savage Model 12 LRP 260 rem; entirely bone stock out of the box, the only thing i did was torque the action screws to 35 in-lb (front) and 30 in-lb (rear)

Scope: Nightforce NSX 5.5-22x50 NPR1 reticle
Base: Ken Farrel one piece steel 20 MOA
Rings: Fen Farrell steel Standard height
Bi-Pod: Harris rocker w/ leg notches 6"-9"
Eagle Stock pack with two layers of mouse pad underneath

I now have about 450 rounds down the barrel and overall i am very pleased with the rifle. The HS stock seems to be of good quality, it is very rigid and the barrel is centered in the channel and fully floated (i have no experience with other higher end stocks so i cannot compare).

I really like the target accutrigger, I don't have a pull gauge, but i would guess it came out of the box at under 1 lb. It is very clean breaking with no creep or over travel to speak of. I have had it trip itself a few times when closing the bolt hard, but it does not bother me much. Maybe i would reconsider if the groundhogs ever learn to shoot back.

The bolt and action feel like a typical savage to me, no surprise there.

I am reloading for the 260 on my rock chucker single stage. I am using a forester mirco seater die, in combo with lee collet neck sizer. I did run the brass through a redding body die after the third firing because the bolt was getting stiffer to close.

I began my load development using with 139 scenars, a fresh box of lapua 260 brass, H4350, and some CCI200. The rifle shoot a decent overall with a few 5 shot 1/2 groups at 100yds but many groups where closer to 1 inch. Whether it was me, or the gun breaking in, the consistency i was hoping for just wasn't quite there.

After tinkering with 2 boxes of the scenars i decided to give 140 grn berger VLD hunting bullets a try. I could tell right away that the gun seemed to prefer the bergers over the lapuas. After a bit more load development i have settled on a load (for now at least) with the bergers that consistently produces 1/2" at 100yds for 5 shots. All of my load development was done using the harris bi-pod up front and a sand bag for the rear

140gr VLD hunting
41.0gr H4350
2.920 col (about .01 into lands on my chamber as best as i can measure)
fed210m primer
lapua brass

I have only shot 5 through the chrono but they where around 2790-2800 fps

I have stopped cleaning the gun about 250 rounds ago, other than on pass with the boresnake every 50-70rds. this gun definitely seems to like it dirty.

I shot this load at 300 yds for the first time the other day and produced a 5 shot group around 1 5/8". i was very pleased with this, i have only been into shooting and reloading for about two years. And the only training i have ever had is what i have read on the internet.

Here are a few pics of the gun, sorry for the poor quality