Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 93r17 misfire

archerx

93r17 misfire

I was wondering if anyone was having alot of misfires with 17hmr?
    I tried a box of Federal v-max and had 15 out of 40 misfires.
    I tried a box of cci tnt and had 10 out of 50 misfires.
    The gun has only had 4 boxes of bullets put thru it,I dont remember any misfires
    with the first 2 boxes but that was right after I bought it a year ago.
    I didn't know if it's the bullets or the gun,I did find out cci makes the bullets for the other
    17hmr companies. The gun a Savage 93r17. Any info would be helpful.

Basic Member

Re: 93r17 misfire

Try Hornady 17 gr

Basic Member

I've got well, around 200 rounds through mine. Only a handful of misfires. Maybe 6-7 at most. I've shot remington, cci, hornady, and Winchester, in 17&20gr varieties.
    Couple rf's, couple cf's, and 1 12g.

Everything I once held dear
    I count it all as lost

Team Savage

This became a consistent problem with my 93R 17HMR after about 200 rounds. Up to 50% of the current Hornady 20gr's are misfires. Changing ammo brands did not help. Usually requires turning the cartridge and several attempts to sometimes get them to fire. The firing pin marks are on the moderate side, but not faint. Not sure what the fix is at this point except to send the bolt back to Savage for repair. A good cleaning and degreasing of the bolt did not solve the problem. A thorough cleaning of the chamber with a bore brush did helped with the stuck case problem that I was experiencing when rounds did fire.

archerx

Just a follow up, a friend took the misfire and tried them in his Savage and the bullets went off,
    There is a large indent in the casing from his firing pin. I think I will contact Savage to see what they say.

Basic Member

sounds like the bullet not going all the way into the chamber, like a headspace problem. would cause two things to happen, 1. extractor not grabbing rim 2. firing pin pushing bullet forward.

archerx

I don't have a failure to eject problem,I'm not sure about the not seating all the way.
    Not sure how to check that,and is that something I can fix?

Team Savage

The misfire problem with Savage 93's seems to be a rather common problem based on information I've found on other sites. Some claim all the bolt needs is a good cleaning. I also noted that the rear knob on the my firing pin was lightly brushing the stock when fired, which I thought might be causing the light firing pin strikes. I raised the rear of the action and bedded it to give good clearance, but the misfires continue. I don't think you can adjust the headspace easily on a rimfire barrel.

Basic Member

0 misfires on mine, about 500 rounds now.

dirtfarmer

I have the same problem with my 17. Sent it to the smith and he put a new firing pin in it and cleaned it. I'm still having misfires. I thought maybe it was the ammo since I bought it in bulk but tried it in another Savage 17 and every one fired. 3 boxes and not a misfire. I really like my rifle but it's about to become a new tent stake. Well, maybe not.

archerx

Not exactly what I wanted to hear.I compared my pin to my friends
    and the only difference we could see,his seemed looser.My guns only
    had about 150 shell thru it,hoping it loosen up,and fixes itself.

John Model 10

I recently had the same problem with my 93R17-TR. The first 500 rounds, or so, were flawless. However, when we had it out on a prairie dogging trip, it started to misfire. By the last day, it wouldn't shoot a round, at all. The ammo wasn't the factor, as it did it with anything I put in it. I read a lot of the comments posted on this forum and others and tried everything I had read, but without success. After a lot of head-scratching and tinkering with the bolt/FP, I discovered that the FP was loose enough in the fired position to suggest that it wasn't getting a firm strike on the cases. I don't know if the metal was soft enough to wear out, or just so close in (or out of) tolerance that it only took so few rounds to put it in this state.

What I ended up doing was to add a little bit of JB weld on the back of the firing pin, where the striker makes contact, then filing it to shape (just a couple hundredths of an inch added, at most). This was only a test and likely a temporary fix, as I'm sure it will eventually wear back down. However, it worked! I fired ten rounds to test it, without incident. I think a more permanent fix would be to make another firing pin of larger dimension in that area, or weld a small bit on the contact point and file it down.

John

powerpoint

Converted my Savage 93 in 17hmr to 5mm rimfire. I am suffering from misfires also. As in your case, ammo
    was the first suspect. Rim thickness does vary on my ammo, but I had the headspace tightened up to help cure some of those woes. Gunsmith then tried working on the firing pin, but this project still suffers from light strikes.
    A friend converted CZ 17hmr to 5mm. He had to jump through more hoops to get that CZ built, but suffers from no misfire problems. Next step is to overhaul the firing pin & spring... Good Luck with your project.

Basic Member

about 1000 rounds through my 93r17 and 0 misfires. i think i've run through a box of every 17hmr ammo ever made now.

Team Savage

I finally sent my Savage 93R 17HMR back to Savage to repair the misfire problem. I purchased in 2008, so I assumed the warranty had expired. To my suprise it showed up on my door step with a note saying it had been repaired at no charge. They changed out some parts and adjusted the headspace. Thanks for some great customer support.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jpdown
    I finally sent my Savage 93R 17HMR back to Savage to repair the misfire problem. I purchased in 2008, so I assumed the warranty had expired. To my suprise it showed up on my door step with a note saying it had been repaired at no charge. They changed out some parts and adjusted the headspace. Thanks for some great customer support.
    its hard to consider purchasing a rifle from another manufacturer when the service is like that... rimfire or center. they are awesome.

I count it all as lost

Inquiring minds would like to know if Savage fixed the problem?
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Team Savage

I won't have a chance to check it out for several more days. They claimed it was test fired and the problem was fixed. We will see.

Basic Member

I wonder how they changed the headspace. I didn't think it was adjustable(being that the barrel is pinned), unless of course they replaced parts on the bolt???

I count it all as lost

Team Savage

I wondered the same thing. I did not know the headspace could be adjusted on a rimfire. It looks like they have replaced the firing pin and bolt handle. Not sure if other internal parts were replaced. Maybe there was enough wear at the base of the bolt handle and on the face of the firing pin after 500+ rounds to cause the misfires to get worse. But, I had misfire problems from the begining with this rifle that I at first attributed to ammo failure. But it continued to get worse until it became a PITA to even use the rifle.

Basic Member

Who knows. It sounds logical enough to me. I'm no gunsmith. I guess we'll know how it all worked out when you give us a report from the range.

I count it all as lost

Team Savage

As a follow-up, I tried my 93-17HMR over the Holidays. Not a single misfire with 50 rounds verses a unfired round 50% of the time before I sent it in for repair. So thanks to the folks at Savage Arms.

Basic Member

Awesome news. How's it shoot? Glad to hear all worked out ok

I count it all as lost

Team Savage

It's always been a very good shooter when I do my part. ;D

Basic Member

I was having the same problem for the longest time on my MKII in .17hm2. I also have a 17hmr 93r that never once has misfired out of about 1000rounds. This may sound stupid, but my father in law swapped the bolts out...put the .17hmr bolt in the .17hm2 and vise versa, and neither one has misfired since! not sure what thats about, but it worked for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast