Thread: Help with Leupold base

cmorsch

Help with Leupold base

I have a set of leupold std 2 peice bases. And Im trying to mount them on my 111fcxp3 and the only way I can get my 4-12x40 redfield scope to fit on them is to have the windage screws over the bolt. Is this a common problem or do I have them mounted backwards?

VjjR

Re: Help with Leupold base

That's the way they are supposed to go.

VjjR

Wait... Bolt or bolt handle?

cmorsch

[img width=337 height=450]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/hfhsteel/2011-07-20220233.jpg[/img]

This is how it looks.

VjjR

Yea that's the right way. Looks good

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by cmorsch
    [img width=337 height=450]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/hfhsteel/2011-07-20220233.jpg[/img]

This is how it looks.
    Just about zero forward/rearward adjustment in that scope position!!

Quote Originally Posted by langenc
    Quote Originally Posted by cmorsch

This is how it looks.
    Just about zero forward/rearward adjustment in that scope position!!
    Yes, that's the reason I got away from Leupold mounts/rings and switched to an EGW base with Burris Signature Zee rings. So many of the current scopes are short in the tube body.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Khorban

I just signed on to post with the exact same question! Redfield scope, Leupold bases and rings.

cmorsch: how has it been performing for you? Cases hit my mount when they eject. Paid about $50 for the Leupold system, and I'm a little disappointed in how it's set up.

BonesD

I just mounted the same parts on a new Model 11 243 yesterday, I too had to reverse the rear mount as it interfered with the bolt. I bought these mounts specifically to avoid covering up the receiver but they will not work with the windage screw to the rear. The scope was at a mechanical zero and I bore siighted it the old fasioned way with a dot on a door knob. I used the windage screw to bring it over a considerable way from left to right and had to use a lot of scope adjustment to get the elevation close. Went to the range today and at 50 yards was shooting a foot and a half high and 6 inches left. Finaly got it down to a one inch group at 50 yards so I moved to 100. It was again 4 inches or so high and to the left. I made a few adjustments with each follow up shot hitting in a new location. Finally blew it off as I feel I was just wasting ammo. I don't know that I like the front dove tail and I don't think I care for the windage screw on the rear.
    I am betting that Savage is more than capable of being able to drill the mounthing screws accuratley enough to just use fixed bases or rings.

I ordered from Talley this morning a set of their ring mounts. Each ring is its own mount. This is simpler for me.
    They were very helpful also and they open for business at 7 AM eastern time. That the way to do it.

BonesD

Just to follow up. I received my Talley rings priority mail today., Ordered about 8 oclock Monday morning and have them installed ny noon Wed. They look great, reversable to fit your set up. The radius on the bottom looks like a better fit than the Leopold and they are simple like me. No interference with the bolt from the rear mount be it facing forward or rearward. Complete access to the receiver regardless of orientation.
    I like em!

BonesD

Another follow up, I went to the range with my old scope and new Talley mounts. Still had the same problem with shots every where. I went to Cabela's and bought a new scope, drove home and mounted it and the reticles were mounted off center canting to the right. Went back and spent another $100.00 for a better scope and headed to the range. On the paper at 100 yards with the first shot about 6 inches low and 3 to the right. I did a follow up shot to see if that was a fluke and it was about 2 inches higher but darn near perfectly on the vertical line. I thought I was finaly on the right track. Out of another 18 shots those first 2 were the closest any came to a decent group. I was shooting Remington 100 grain Core Loc's because I saw someone here on the forum with the same rifle saying they preformed well for him. It didn't hurt that these were about the cheapest at Academy. I had also bought a box of Hornady 100 grain rounds that were about 11 more dollars per box. In desperation I loaded up 3 and the 1st 2 shots were touching and the 3rd less than a 1/2 inch from the other two. AMAZING difference between the 2 manufacturers. It took a few more shots to put it where I wanted and still have a half box left. I had already shot 3 boxes of the Remingtons trying to fix my problem. I can'tsay the Remington's are junk but I can sure say that this particular Savage Model 11 FCYAK does not like them at all. I hope this is the end of my saga.