Thread: Newbie to the site w/ an ammo question

historian

Newbie to the site w/ an ammo question

Hello:

I'm new to the site and a new owber of a Savage 111 LRH in 300 Win Mag

I was wondering what you guys think is the best (most accurate) ammo for distance shooting at targets?

I have no experience with long range shooting. Up to this point I've focused on tactical weapons and tactics (I own a FNH PS90, FNH FS2000, and several pistols).

Any advice or suggestions about the gun, ammo, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike :)

Basic Member

Re: Newbie to the site w/ an ammo question

i think you will find the general answer to be a hands down "reloads developed for your rifle"

Gary
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Daves762

Depends on your demands. If you want o shoot a few through the same hole with factory ammo, you might as well go buy a super lotto ticket........If you just want to hit the target, then go buy a few boxes of different kinds and see which one shoots best.

Trying to buy factory ammo thats gonna shoot bullseye's in YOUR rifle is like going on a snipe hunt.
    IF you find a factory load that does work, you then must go buy hundreds of rounds of the exact same ammo, and hope it's from the same batch.

The money you will spend doing exactly this is enough to buy a start up kit from HORNADY or RCBS and start reloading. Reloading is not hard, and it's super fullfilling and fun, and thats why all "serious shooters" do so.

The 300 Win Mag has some very long legs on it. (shoots far as hell very well) especially with the heavier bullets with a barrel that has 1/10 twist. So you wont even tap inot the "magnum" portion of the cartridge untill 300-400 yds. Past that is where the benefits of "magnum" take effect. If you just want to shoot paper 300yds or less get a 308 or 30-06 as the ammo is way cheaper and the FPS doesn't matter on paper at that range.

If you HAVE to buy factory ammo for paper punching, get the best you can afford with SMK (Sierra Match King) bullets. There are plenty of good bullets but most all guys that know their stuff have a load of SMK's for those super tight groups on paper.

Summery of my rant.....buy a start up kit and reload your own, or buy 168 or heavier SMK's, once you find a factory load that shoots good enough for you go buy as much of the exact same as you can afford cause you might not be able to find it again when you need it.

Hope my opinion helps out.

Dave

Good advice from "earl39" and "Daves762". I will add, the short neck on the 300 mag can sometimes be a pain hampering straight bullet seating.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

historian

Thanks Guys. Your insight is most appreciated.

I need to start reloading - not just for the Win Mag but my 5.7 as well.

Right now with a 4 year old and a 6 month old at home time is just too limited.

Mike

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by historian

Right now with a 4 year old and a 6 month old at home time is just too limited.

Mike
    HA just wait till they get to be teenagers. with girls it is time spent running the boys off and figuring out how to keep the boys away for your daughter and with boys it is time spent trying to keep them out of trouble. there is never enough free time. I was always told by old folks when i was growing up kids should be got rid of about 9 years of age and they can come back for their 18th birthday and then move out. the older my kids get the more i think there was a bit of truth there ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I do have the daughter married and have grandkids now but my son is still here for a few more years.

Enjoy all the time you can with them they grow up a lot faster than we want them too.

Gary
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)