Thread: Is it normal to have tool marks on the barrel nut?

Basic Member

Is it normal to have tool marks on the barrel nut?

I have a model 16 270WSM that I bought used from GunBroker.com. It shoots well, and I've already taken an antelope with it. Shooting it prone, using my backpack as a rest, I'm getting roughly MOA at 100yds. I noticed however that a few of the "teeth" on the barrel nut look slightly stripped, as if someone took the barrel off. Its very slight, and not all that noticeable, but it is something I noticed. Its a completely stock gun, and as such, it seems to shoot well, but I'm wondering if it will cause problems as I want to begin upgrading the stock, optics, etc. Is it normal to see these kind of blemishes on a stock gun? or does this mean that the previous owner had the barrel off? What would be some reasons or other things to check if it was likely the last owner who did it?

RWO

Re: Is it normal to have tool marks on the barrel nut?

New guns don't have tool marks. It sounds like the previous owner tried to remove the barrel nut with channel-locks or a pipe wrench. If you want to remove it, get the correct wrench. Midway sells them as well as several other suppliers.

RWO

Basic Member

Thanks. I wasn't really looking to remove the barrel, I was more concerned with why the previous owner would have removed it I suppose. I havent shot the gun that much, but so far, it seems to shoot just fine. I do want to start upgrading it with a nice bedded stock and better optics though. I'm wondering if I should have a gunsmith check it out? If nothing else, I may buy a new barrel nut just for aesthetic purposes.

thomae

Perhaps the previous owner shot a different barrel and then reinstalled the factory barrel when selling.

If it shoots well, the barrel nut is tight, and you are not getting any signs of headspace difficulties, I'd go with it. Bottom line with me is whether or not it shoots accurately.

Having said all that, if you have any safety worries, it is absolutely worth the peace of mind (piece of mind? ) to have someone you trust check it out for you, especially if that is something you are not comfortable doing yourself.

Basic Member

[img width=600 height=450]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/711/img00109201109271854.jpg[/img]
    Heres a pic, Like I said its very slight, and some of the "teeth" on the underside are a touch worse, but its like they are slightly widened out as if too much pressure was put on them.

Basic Member

It is possible that the marks are from the original factory installation
    They put the nut on tight at the factory
    Jack

ellobo

Does WSM barrels have shoulders on them? And the lettering doesnt seem to be in the right place on the barrel, too high up. That with the marks on the nut tells me there may have been a barrel swap.

El Lobo