Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who Wants A wood Stock for There Edge/Axis

Mathias

Re: Who Wants A wood Stock for There Edge/Axis

I know that I would be willing to pay $200-$300 for a nice aftermarket stock for my axis depending on the style/options.

Basic Member

put me and my brother down for one each! i love wood!
    i just ordered a stock from Boyds today for my 116. wood adds class to guns no matter what the value is!
    Holy Crap!!

bobfortier

Started the project, but as I stated earlier, cannot sell them in the US. My photobucket is full at the moment, pics later

bobfortier

Inletting for the action is done on my prototype, I think I found a good way to fix the mag.

One question. Can someone here post a pic of the mag of a 30-06 or 270 next to a 223 or 308 one ?

If I understood correctly, mag for "long action" cartridge are longer, and all the "short action" ones are the same, only the internals is different.

stingray

Put me down for one.

Basic Member

>Why should we have to beg? Who the hell is running marketing at Boyds? Are they going to put one out after Savage sells 20 million Axis? They can have, on hand, replacement stocks for Krags and side hammer LC-Smith's but act like they have to be forced to make a stock for a Axis. > >

Basic Member

It's all about demand and market share. Would you spend thousands of dollars tooling up for a stock when you don't know what the demand is at this time? Just because there is a handful on this site wanting an upgrade, it doesn't mean that they need to go out of their way to fill every request, it has to be profitable.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member

Shaprshooter: what tooling are you talking about? they already make rifle stocks. If they started makeing them they would have 99.9% of the aftermarket. You comment sounds more like a CYA for a paying sponsor.

bobfortier

Problem with the Axis is the fact that the aftermarket stock needs to come up with a way to attach the mag, and a trigger guard. Regular Savage 10 trigger guard don't fit.

I solved both of those problem myself for my own stocks, and it is much mre than just inletting a laminate blank

stingray

Kind a agree with Fat Albert's comment (post #29). I would think this forum is only scratching the surface of interested Axis owners.

thomae

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Albert
    Shaprshooter: what tooling are you talking about? they already make rifle stocks. If they started makeing them they would have 99.9% of the aftermarket. You comment sounds more like a CYA for a paying sponsor.

Easy there Al, take a couple of deep breaths and relax. Have a seat and a glass of lemonade.
    Sharpshooter is a small businessman who, I sincerely believe, (in spite of the fact that he has put me in my place several times when I apparently needed it) does know what he is talking about. It is one thing to have a good gut feeling, but it is another thing altogether to do some serious market research and determine exactly what the demand is and to weigh that against the cost of tooling, design, production & marketing. Common sense and gut feeling are good, but they don't hold a candle to good statistical business research. There is a reason why many/most small businesses fail. Yes, you are correct that the first people to make something new corner the market, but that does not mean they are always successful. Also, there are many factors we, as outsiders to any particular company, simply don't know about that would affect this type of decision.

Not slamming you for wanting it, (I'd like a nice wooden thumbhole for my Axis too)but don't want you to beat up Sharpshooter for his opinion either. I recognize where each of you are coming from and certainly appreciate your respective viewpoints.
    ;D

Basic Member

I'm going to preface what I'm about to say is my opinion.

When I'm going to purchase a rifle, I always look at what I'm going to do with the rifle. If I'm going to customize a rifle for anything, then I'm going to choose a rifle that has plenty of aftermarket support for it. Preferably I would choose a Savage 10/110 or Stevens 200.

If I want a truck gun, then I'm going to choose something like an Axis. Its not going to be my go to rifle for benchrest or f-class but it would do for a basic hunting rig.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member

I don't think Fat Albert has a clue as to what goes into putting a stock into mass production, it's more than making just making sawdust. At this point there are about 250,000 Edge/Axis rifles in existence. There is only a small percentage of that number of shooters who are hell bent on upgrading the stock. For a company like Boyds, the market has to be a lot bigger to justify tooling up for a stock that has other issues connected to it, such as the mag retention system. If it was solely wood, you still wouldn't see anything for several years. It only took Boyd's 5 years to catch onto the fact that Savage changed the magazine system and the hole spacing on their short actions. Do you really think they will jump on this anytime soon? I'm not promoting them, nor am I defending them, but I did have a long chat with a Boyd's rep at the SHOT show. We discussed this very issue and I inquired about how many units it would take to make it worth their while.He couldn't give me an answer.
    Then I volunteered to be an exclusive distributor and assume all the financial responsibilities, then I was met with more resistance than acceptance, and when I asked the rep about a ball park price, he stated about $100 higher than their most popular model. Basically, I think the guy was blowing me off and did not take me seriously.
    Guys, don't take me wrong... I feel your pain, I'm an Axis owner too. I am currently working on a solution to this dilemma, but I just want to keep it realistic. When you finally see something, it's probably not gonna be in the price range you are expecting.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12