Thread: Axis and Lead Bullets

Ray384

Axis and Lead Bullets

I just got an Axis .308 and was wondering if anyone had shot lead bullets in theirs. I am restricted in the amount of recoil that I can stand due to a replaced shoulder and only shoot for recreation.

If you have shot them, how did they do.

Basic Member

Re: Axis and Lead Bullets

Shoulda got one in .223.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Ray384

I got the .308 to share bullets with my .30/30. I once had a .223, did not enjoy reloading it. It seemed like anything that could go wrong did.

1joshf

I have been working a load for lead bullets in mine. However i do not want a cream puff load so recoil was not reduced signifigantly.
    So far I have used this Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold C312-155-2R 7.62x39mm. I tried them sized at 309 and was lucky to keep them on paper. Sized at 311 I got a 4 inch group at 75 yards.
    This was over 43 grains of blc2 in 7.62 nato brass. I tried them over 44 grains of blc 2 and shrunk the froup by about 3/8 but the primers were flattened out. Pressure a little to high for my liking.

As you can see this is a good enough group to whack a white tail but it really is not satisfactory. Ill tinker with loads some more and see what i can do to shrink them. But I have been casting some heavier stuff thet will have more contact with the rifling's to try. Using this mold Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold C312-185-1R 303 British (312 Diameter) 185 Grain 1 Ogive Radius Gas Check.

Unfortunately is rifle very much because the wrist of the stock flexes under recoil and the forearm contacts the barrel when resting on a bag. I believe this rifle would be capable of better accuracy if the stock was not complete garbage.

Fyi the best group I have been able to achieve with this rifle is 2 inches at 100 yards using sierra 125 grain hp over 4064. Again I attribute a lot of this to the stock.

But hey it would kill a deer with that kind of accuracy and is currently the cheapest bolt gun built so i guess I should not *****.

dungheap

If you want something really, really light shooting in your .308, try Trail Boss powder. The other one that really shines with your purpose in mind is Accurate 5744. Load data for trail boss can be had on the Hodgdon site, and an e-mail to Accurate Arms will get you 5744 data. If that somehow fails, post it and I'll look up the data for you. Carrying all this one step farther, Alliant Unique will also give you good accuracy with cast bullets.

Basic Member

Ray384: from what I have seen, you are just waisting your time here. You need to go to one of the cast bullet forums. What you will also need to do is slug your bore and do a chamber cast to find out what you are starting with. Bores and chambers are like rear ends- every one is different.

Ray384

I am having pretty good luck with a 170 gr bullet using H4895. I am getting good groups at 100 yards. I`ll probably work on the trigger next.

Aircraftmech76

Quote Originally Posted by 1joshf
    I have been working a load for lead bullets in mine. However i do not want a cream puff load so recoil was not reduced signifigantly.
    So far I have used this Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold C312-155-2R 7.62x39mm. I tried them sized at 309 and was lucky to keep them on paper. Sized at 311 I got a 4 inch group at 75 yards.
    This was over 43 grains of blc2 in 7.62 nato brass. I tried them over 44 grains of blc 2 and shrunk the froup by about 3/8 but the primers were flattened out. Pressure a little to high for my liking.

As you can see this is a good enough group to whack a white tail but it really is not satisfactory. Ill tinker with loads some more and see what i can do to shrink them. But I have been casting some heavier stuff thet will have more contact with the rifling's to try. Using this mold Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold C312-185-1R 303 British (312 Diameter) 185 Grain 1 Ogive Radius Gas Check.

Unfortunately is rifle very much because the wrist of the stock flexes under recoil and the forearm contacts the barrel when resting on a bag. I believe this rifle would be capable of better accuracy if the stock was not complete garbage.

Fyi the best group I have been able to achieve with this rifle is 2 inches at 100 yards using sierra 125 grain hp over 4064. Again I attribute a lot of this to the stock.

But hey it would kill a deer with that kind of accuracy and is currently the cheapest bolt gun built so i guess I should not *****.
    Brother, you cannot push cast lead bullets that hard. They aren't built as tough as jacketed. I have been casting for about 8 years now. If your 30 caliber has a 10" twist, you need to keep those bullets below 2000fps or so.

Kevin
    (also a member on the castboolits forum for the last 8 years IIRC)