Thread: Axis barrels

crossb1111

Axis barrels

Alright, I've done a lot of reading and research and still can't seem to get a straight answer. I've read a lot about why the axis isn't a good gun to build on and I get it, but I bought the gun that I could buy for the money and without driving six hours and im not interested in a lecture on how there's better models to start with (no offense to those of you who are highly opinionated)... Just looking for any helpful info at all on a new barrel. Thank ya much guys, I appreciate any, constructive, feedback.

Basic Member

Re: Axis barrels

Any small shank barrel for a Savage will fit your Axis.

superloggy

I agree with you, arm chair engineering and opinions aside this is the edge/axis section. By the way I see more and more Axis at the range

I would like to change barrels too, and from what I can tell the Axis is a small shank Savage. The difference in recoil lug is made up for by the action being longer in this area with a cut out for the Axis stocks lug. Any small shank Savage Pre fit barrel should work and installation is the same, headspace go/no go gauge set up. Of course one would have to open up the barrel channel if the barrel is a bigger diameter.

If the Axis actions are all the same length, one could just change magazines when switching from short/long caliber cartidges.

oso181

Im in the same boat as you are crossb1111 iv picked it upin a .223 but would like to sitch out the barrel to a 6.5x55. Also some thing im looking up know is can you drill into a savage axis stock so i can add a rail. I would like to add a grip to the to the sthe front of the stock.

thomae

Quote Originally Posted by superloggy
    If the Axis actions are all the same length, one could just change magazines when switching from short/long caliber cartidges.
    There are also two different sizes of plastic trigger guards to accommodate the short and long magazines. You would need the to purchase that as well if you were going from short to long cartridge length or vice versa.

IIRC, someone on the forum purchased one directly from Savage to do an Axis caliber change.

Bad Water Bill

Quote Originally Posted by oso181
    Im in the same boat as you are crossb1111 iv picked it up in a .223 but would like to switch out the barrel to a 6.5x55. Also some thing im looking up know is can you drill into a savage axis stock so i can add a rail. I would like to add a grip to the to the sthe front of the stock.
    Not Knowledgeable on the axis BUT 223 brass does not come anywhere near working in a 6.5 X 55 bolt. You will need a new bolt or just the head.

Idahojoe

I put a 260 ERBCO barrel on mine, It started out a 30-06. While braking in the new barrel it shot 4 shot 3/8" group that included the fouler. It is a joy to shoot. Idahojoe

Bad Water Bill

Take a look at the base of a 30-06 shell. Any cartridge with the same size is no problem.

Now pick up a 223 case and tell me with a straight face that the bolt will work on both. Plus you will have a SLIGHT length problem.

Everyone that ever thinks of a bbl swap should look at those 2 questions before going further.

bobfortier

I got a used Savage 12 VLP in 223 to put on my Axis. Next step is to do a pillar bedding, install a EGW 20 moa base, and go shoot !

RwBeV

If I were going to start from a stripped down action build up I dont think that the Axis would be my first choice. Now after saying that I have four of them, all have been rebarreled and all shoot great. For a very low budget rebarrel job there a great choice. From what I understand all the bolts are the same length, thats why its so darn long on the 223 other than the bolt face there the same. I haven't checked it for sure Wal-Mart wouldn't let me take there guns apart. Mine are all short cartridges, 20-223AI, 20 Vartarg, 204, 22-250AI. This is a neet little action I have recommended it to a lot of folks that cant lay down a grand for a rifle. I wish someone would come out with an after market Varmint stock though.

Bob

bobfortier

All bolts and actions are the same, the only thing that changes from one caliber to the other is barrel, boltface, mag and plastic trigger guard

miassmaro98

Quote Originally Posted by bobfortier
    All bolts and actions are the same, the only thing that changes from one caliber to the other is barrel, boltface, mag and plastic trigger guard
    that's some good information

miassmaro98

so who sells some nice affordable barrels mines will need to be chamber in .308 win ?

Bad Water Bill

If you will notice, you are a basic user. There are many reasons why many of us have PAID MEMBER by our name.

#1 Someone has to pay to keep this site operating and to store all of the information about SAVAGE GUNS.

#2 It gives you access to the classified section where you can from time to time find NEW take off 308 bbls for sale at very good prices.

#3 There is a section where you can post your WANTED items.

miassmaro98

how much is a paid membership?

Quote Originally Posted by miassmaro98
    how much is a paid membership?
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,16763.0.html
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

miassmaro98

so who sells short shank barrels at a nice price?