Thread: Biology - ELK

Biology - ELK

I want to edumercate myself on ELK biology, pls suggest some books, web sites ...
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member

Re: Biology - ELK

The Colorado DNR has some good stuff out there, I'm sure there is a lot more on other states sites too.
    Life is short, make every shot count.

Basic Member

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/...ssons2011.aspx

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/...tyLessons.aspx

try these, they are the Colorado DOW elk hunting university from 2010 and 2011 both with a lot of information on how/where elk live and all that. Good luck

Uncle Jack

An elk is just a cow with big antlers. Actually, a regular cow tastes better.

uj

Basic Member

Everyone has different points of view of what animal is smart and which are dumb, that's for sure.

Where I live people think whitetail hang out in cages, can be feed by hand, and are the size of small dogs. But we have always heard that moose are like cattle with antlers, because they are scared of nothing and couldn't careless. I'm sure the Alaskans would say different.

I also grew up eating elk and mule deer daily, and not really ever having beef unless we went out to dinner. So I believe there is nothing better than deer back strap and elk burger.

Uncle Jack

Mooseburgers, my good man, mooseburgers!

uj

Basic Member

OO boy! I had the opportunity to have some moose and caribou a while back, they were very very good!

if you ever get a chance mountain lion is amazing to say the least.

sorry if we got a little off track it is almost time to get off work and go get some grub

Basic Member

Never had wild elk, but hope to change that this year. I have had ranch elk, we get it at the local restaurant. I believe it's backstrap they serve and it is better than beef, with the only possible exception of beef tri-tip, maybe.

taos

Another vote for lion. Once you gat past the thought of eating cat, it is great!!