Thread: Pros and cons Building on and Older 110??

youngtrout

Pros and cons Building on and Older 110??

I've been trying to review the FAQ's. I've typically dealt with accutrigger models, now I'm looking for another action and I keep seeing older 110's go for pretty cheap.

My question is if there is a reason for this, reading the FAQ's makes me want to run from the hills from anything pre 2008?

The ones I'm looking at typically have the slot head instead of the allen for the bolt head and if you ask me a nicer designed bolt. Wondering about the parts interchange from new to old?

Basically just wondering if these older actions are decent builder actions or not??

Thanks for any feedback!

Re: Pros and cons Building on and Older 110??

I have use a couple with good results. Big thing to look at is the spacing of the action screws. There is one action Style out there commonly referred to as a "J" action and it has an odd bolt spacing of something like 4.52". While the action is just as strong as accuracy capable as any other standard action, however stocks are not as easy to find in the aftermarket world. They are out there, but just harder to find, usually custom built-to-order.

Most of the parts will interchange, most bolt heads will work. Some of the older bolt heads have the alignment notch, but that is a very easy fix. Firing pin sizes vary but that is not limited to the older models.

I would not be afraid of these older actions. The post 2008 actions are supposed to have the best Quality Control during manufacturing, but I think the older pre-'08 actions are still way ahead of the competition.

Just inspect what you are looking at buying, read on here and the answers will present themselves.

Here are some links that may be of help:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...ic,3883.0.html

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,10416.0.html
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

82boy

There is some advantages to building an older 110, I did so, and it is one of my favorite guns. As you have notice that the older 110 sell for little money, but so do the Stevens 200, and either way is a good way to go. There is some disadvantages of purchasing the older guns. The pre-accu- trigger guns have a flat back, and they was hand ground, they was not always ground flat, but this something a bit of bedding can fix.

Other disadvantages are there are some weird models in the mix, the first guns (1958-1966) share little with the more modern guns. (IE different bolt head design, barrel chambers, trigger designs, ETC) Then there was a couple of years they cast the receivers, and they had integrated the scope bases, and couple of years the soldered the scope bases on. Then the 1st generation short actions throw some people for a loop, they are a long action, but they have a different bolt spacing, and use a few different parts, which makes them a bit less desirable. Once you get past them differences the guns were very much the same as the guns today. Some of the quality went down hill, with the guns made in the late 80's early 90's as savage went through some rocky years, at that time.

Many of the older 110's are made just as good if not better, (Some of the guns made in the 70's have some of the best maching ever seen, still done with pride, and by hand.) than some of the newer guns. Almost all the parts will interchange, and they shoot everybit as good as the current production guns. Savage changed ownership, and the first true short action guns was one of the first adventures this happened in the mid to late 1990's. The accu-trigger came out in the early 2000's, and that is when they stoped grinding the backs of the receivers. The center feed magazine guns started in 2006. All this said, the guns is basically the same as the guns made from 1966 on, just with a few upgrades.

Basic Member

No fleas on the older actions, should be able to get them at a good price too.
    Friends don't let friends use see through scope mounts. No offense.

Team Savage

With some of the "older" action, "J" being the one in mind, (I'am thinking early to mid 80s)if you can find one (or even 2 ) for sale at a good price, jump on it.
    Only difference in parts would be the length of the bolt body. They're available. The alignment nub in the bolt body for the bolt head? Grind it off and any bolt head will work.
    As far as stocks, all that needs to be done to fit the action to a short action stock is move the front screw hole about 1/4" and you're good to go. I'am thinking wood stocks. Never tried a composit stock but my guess is that wouldn't be much of a problem either.
    My first Savage was (is) a "J" 110 V in .223. Since then it's been just about every caliber I own. Scope bases are kinds tough to come by if you're picky about the base design. Had a "custom" Leupold "one piece" made up from pieces. Cut and welded to fit with rear windage adjustment. It's made for the action and came out looking 100% cool.
    Rifle Basix trigger, custom chambered barrel, stock of your choice and you're set. 8) I've got 16s and 12s with the Accu Trigger but my favorite is my "J" in 6.8 BR.
    That's the action that got me hooked on Savage. ;D
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

youngtrout

Thanks guys, I'll keep looking around, I'd say on average the left handed older models go for around 75 cheaper. You right handed fellows are lucky you can take advantage of the Stevens.

Team Savage

I'am right handed but a older "left hand" action? 8) Very 8) .
    Just built a left hand Model 12 on a right hand thumbhole benchrest style stock.
    Not doing anything with me left hand while shooting anyway so why not use it to open/close the bolt and feed ammo? I'am beginning to like it more than my right hand actions.
    Right and left hand actions are the same except for the bolt being on the opposit side. Right hand stock with the bolt handle slot filled in and recut on the other side. ;D

Basic Member

Why are you jealous of us? You get the $75 discount 'cause the bolt is on the wrong side!
    Friends don't let friends use see through scope mounts. No offense.

Team Savage

Left handed people are in their "Right" mind!
    And a study shows that leftys can switch to righty's easier than righty's can switch to lefty's? ???

youngtrout

I'd say the "about" 75 applies to both right and left rifles. I was in sportsmans last winter and saw a Stevens 308 for 180. Should have just bought it. Would have worked great for a bench gun. I do like my hunting rifle bolts on the "right" side for me

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by csam
    Why are you jealous of us? You get the $75 discount 'cause the bolt is on the wrong side!
    He's saying the discount is for OLDER LH actions NOT just any left handed ones. In my experience, LH actions are pricier and harder to find, THAT was why he was jealous.

being a lefty, I can easily switch from right to left, and shoot equally well either way. In fact, a few weeks ago, I killed my mulie at 180yds with my RH "J" model, shooting it right handed, cause he was on my left side.

By the way, I am not sure of exact years of production, but my J model, was purchased in 1974.

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy

Other disadvantages are there are some weird models in the mix, the first guns (1958-1966) share little with the more modern guns. (IE different bolt head design, barrel chambers, trigger designs, ETC) Then there was a couple of years they cast the receivers, and they had integrated the scope bases, and couple of years the soldered the scope bases on. Then the 1st generation short actions throw some people for a loop, they are a long action, but they have a different bolt spacing, and use a few different parts, which makes them a bit less desirable. Once you get past them differences the guns were very much the same as the guns today. Some of the quality went down hill, with the guns made in the late 80's early 90's as savage went through some rocky years, at that time.
    Wish I'd known about this prior to purchasing my last lefty "donor" rifle. Bought what turned out to be a 1965 model for the action, didn't know about (or notice at the time of purchase) the funky bolt head. By the time I bought all the parts to convert it to the modern bolt design (basically had a new bolt built), I could've just bought a newer round action from NSS and been money ahead. Also, I would've had a bunch more options for a tapered base with the newer round action. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have bought that particular rifle (action).

-Rick
    Unbiased AR15, Barnard, BAT, Borden, Browning, Kelbly, Marsh, Nesika Bay, Remington, Ruger, Savage, Ultralight Arms owner. I like 'em all.

ellobo

Look for a round rear action model and you shuld be good to go without to much wierd mods needed. Best bet; get a new Stevens 200 and go from there. Or call Jim Briggs at Northland Shooter Supply for an action of your choice.

El Lobo