Thread: copper fouling

josebd

copper fouling

i have a savage .204 barrel,heavy barrel that copper fouls bad after 10 shots,with 32 v-max. any idea why?this is used when i got it,round count is unknown,but it is accurate
    do i need to do the breaking in cleaning like for a new barrel?

82boy

Re: copper fouling

Quote Originally Posted by josebd
    i have a savage .204 barrel,heavy barrel that copper fouls bad after 10 shots,with 32 v-max. any idea why?this is used when i got it,round count is unknown,but it is accurate
    do i need to do the breaking in cleaning like for a new barrel?
    More importantly, how does it shoot? If it shoots good don't worry about it, and don't do anything different. :)

josebd

its grouping aroung 1 inch to 1 1/4.not what i expect

okey

This is my 204 barrel after 2000 rounds. It would shoot great for 15 rounds then would throw the next one sideways a foot off. After cleaning it would shoot another 15 rounds good. Took a long time to clean. Still didn't get much copper out of it.

A bandsaw makes a good poorman's borescope. :D

[img width=600 height=322]http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss273/okeymon/204-1.jpg[/img]

A call to Jim at Northlanders took care of the problem.

Okey

Basic Member

I would bet that there is a percentage of barrels out there that behave for all the world like they are "bad" ........ yet if one could scope them ......... one would find that a previous (or current) owner actually cleaned them partially and left a certain amount of powder fouling in the grooves.

Do that for a certain number of years and somebody is gonna get "bit" where the sun don't shine!

Before you change tubes, try this:

Get yourself some USP or JB bore paste .......... it's a mild abrassive ........ yes, but if the alternative is CHUCKING IT .......... what's to lose?

Best regards

Three 44s

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by okey
    This is my 204 barrel after 2000 rounds. It would shoot great for 15 rounds then would throw the next one sideways a foot off. After cleaning it would shoot another 15 rounds good. Took a long time to clean. Still didn't get much copper out of it.

A bandsaw makes a good poorman's borescope. :D

[img width=600 height=322]http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss273/okeymon/204-1.jpg[/img]

A call to Jim at Northlanders took care of the problem.

Okey

Looks like a wicked carbon ring there.

josebd

ok,i got all of the copper out of it,shot it once,and had more than usual copper build up,ive never seen that much after one shot,. so do i need to keep doing that?clean after one shot till it dont copper foul?

davemuzz

You haven't mentioned what product you are using to get rid of the copper. What you may be experiencing is that you THINK you have all the copper out of the barrel....but in fact, you don't. So, when you shoot the next 10, 20, or 30 rounds what you are getting is these bullets are simply piling up more copper on existing copper that's still in there.

So...the product that your using isn't really removing all the copper. So....if you haven't tried "Wipe-Out", then that's what you need to try. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=784639 If you read some of the reviews on this, the guys who have looked in their bores with bore scopes tell the real story.

I have one gun that will copper up real fast if I don't use wipe out and the groups will open up fast.

Try it...what do you have to lose?

Basic Member

Have you tried any other bullets? Sometimes different bullets will copper less than others.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Ray Gunter

Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz
    So....if you haven't tried "Wipe-Out", then that's what you need to try. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=784639
    +1
    Best stuff I ever used on copper.

josebd

i use butches bore shine and sweets 7.62

davemuzz

Quote Originally Posted by josebd
    i use butches bore shine and sweets 7.62

Been there, Done that....Got the T-shirt. Clean your barrel with Sweets until you think it's copper clean. Then follow the instructions for wipe-out and leave it overnight in your barrel. I got $10 (the price of wipe-out plus shipping) that you will get blue like you won't believe. ;D

josebd

send me some and ill try it.i dont think that will keep my barrel from fouling even after 1 shot!

Basic Member

yours may be fire cracked like the one cutaway view above, acting like a cheese grater on every bullet passing it's way.
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

irondog54

Clean with JB bore past and Kroil. follow with denatured alcohol. Your first group after fouling shot (s) will show improvement... try it!!

Basic Member

Like the posters above, I go straight to the Wipeout. Take what you think is a copper free barrel and give it a shot of Wipeout. Let it sit overnight and run a patch through it. The patch will tell the story.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie