Thread: Torque specs for Burris mounts and rings

nivlac1960

Torque specs for Burris mounts and rings

Does anybody knows the torque specs for Burris XTB scope base screws and Signature Zee Ring cross bolts and ring screws?

thomae

Re: Torque specs for Burris mounts and rings

Quote Originally Posted by nivlac1960
    Does anybody knows the torque specs for Burris XTB scope base screws and Signature Zee Ring cross bolts and ring screws?
    On 09 May 2011, I spoke with Burris customer service. For Signature Zee rings, he stated that all fasteners should be torqued to 40-45 inch pounds. Didn't ask about XTB scope bases.

I replace all my cross bolts with allen(hex)head cross bolts. (I purchased about 50 a while ago and they will last me a lifetime. )

I put just a smidge of medium strength threadlocker on the threads and torque them down gradually...get the crossbolts first, back and forth until I am at about 40 pounds, and then do all four ring screws to 10 in/lbs, then 20 in/lbs, then 30in/lbs.
    My recollection is that I only need about 30 in/lbs for the ring screws. If my scope moves, I'll torque it down just a bit more, but that certainly feels like a lot of force for those small screws.

Later edit: Based on rjtfroggy's posting and rethinking all of this, I believe I am wrong and he is correct and 18-20 inch pounds is good for the ring screws/bolts. Please read down this thread.

Hope this helps.
    All the best to you.
    Last edited by thomae; 10-01-2014 at 09:22 PM.

For the cross bolts 40 in/lbs. is the standard.
    For those little ring screws most recommend 18-20 in/lbs..
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

nivlac1960

thomae & rjtfroogy,
    Thanks for the help.

thomae

rjtfroggy:
    I think you are correct. It's been a while since I put a scope on. I do know that regardless of what the "manual" says, if it feels too tight to me, I'll stop. I have had my share of broken or stripped bolts, screws, holes that I do try to avoid them. Now that you mention it, perhaps I stop at 20, not 30 for the ring screws. My forgetter is getting better every day.

I stand corrected.

nivlac1960 :
    You are quite welcome. I am going to suggest that you go with rjtfroggy's 18-20 inch pounds and not the 30 or 40 that I suggested for the ring screws. The more I think about it, the more I believe rjtfroggy is more correct than I am. Go easy on the ring screws and if it feels ok at 18-20, go with rjtfroggy's suggestion and stop. The worse you will have to do is to tighten a bit more later if the scope moves around. If you go to 30 and end up stripping or breaking something, that is bad, and I don't want to be the one who gave you the bad gouge.

All the best,

Last edited by thomae; 10-01-2014 at 09:22 PM.