Thread: Please help with scope mounting issue on a Savage 10BA

majstock

Please help with scope mounting issue on a Savage 10BA

I need some help with a scope mount issue. I have a brand new Savage 10BA rifle from the Law Enforcement series in 308 cal. The rifle comes from the factory with a large rail for mounting a scope and other accessories and as far as I can tell the rail is at 0 moa. I have purchased a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 scope with the Rapid z1000 reticle. In the scope manual is says that this particular scope should me mounted with a 20moa mount system or you will run out of elevation adjustment. So now what do I do. Is there such a thing as a 20moa mount that will attach to my already existing rail. If not, does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Basic Member

Re: Please help with scope mounting issue on a Savage 10BA

Burris Signature Zee rings will give you 20moa

Kinetik1

I would mount the scope and attempt to site-in before buying anything else, assuming you already have the rings. Zeroed at 200 yds, I can't see you running out of elevation. With hold-over points out to 1000 yds, there's no need to click in elevation for longer shots.
    If you run out of clicks and you like the 1 pc base that comes with the rifle, get the Burris sig rings. Or just buy a 20 moa base.

spcsys

I mounted a Zeiss Conquest with the Rapid-Z 1000 as a secondary scope on a Steyr SBS and had the same problem, not enough internal mechanical adjustment to zero the scope. I have a Zeiss Duralyt with a simple #4 reticle for hunting and I am trying to keep the gun lightweight as I have plenty of heavy rifles so I don't want to put a full rail on the receiver. To get the 20 MOA I am going to need for the secondary scope (range and target use with heavier grain 308 bullet) I am going to have to come up with a solution similar to what you are looking for (20 MOA without changing bases currently on receiver).

Here is what I have came up with so far; keep in mind there may be more options available for your Savage.

I am going to purchase the MSP MOA-ER-SET with the A.R.M.S. #35QD "cut in 2 peices". Since you already have a rail you would not need the two-peice cut but can use the standard A.R.M.S. #35QD mount that comes with the mount; I am having to space for the non-spec cross-slot length (receiver taps) of 2 peice dovetail/1913 bases.
    http://www.mountsplus.com/mm5/mercha...ode=MOA-ER-SET

You may also consider this setup if you have a particular pair of rings you already want to use
    http://www.mountsplus.com/mm5/mercha...de=MOA-SET-TXX

Finally, there is this option which may be one of the best to minimize the "double rail" setup
    http://www.mountsplus.com/mm5/mercha...de=ROP-003-025
    If you don't need rings this high you may want to give MSP and PRI a call and see if they have medium height.

http://www.pri-mounts.com/
    http://www.armsmounts.com/

Good luck and post a review if you use any of these mounts, I would be interested to hear your results.

You know you can take that rail off by removing the four screws that hold it to the action. After that, any Savage short action, round/round rail will work.

P.S. Not sure who makes that mount for Savage but those four screws are the strongest I have seen for a base. Although, they do have to hold that 5 lb rail on so I guess they have to be stout.
    More shooting, less typing.

M.O.A.

i would just change out to a game reaper 20 moa Mount and rings. there like $150 bucks but it a solid one peace mount and ring combo

I also have a 10BA in 308 i mounted the factory rail and are using a NightForce Unimount with 30 min angle was using it at the 2011 Savage Shoot

mrslippery

I mounted a Leupold 8.5 x 25 1" tube on my BA. Used the minus 20 insert up front, 100 yard zero, couldn't make it to 900 yards. Go with a 20 MOA base if you wish to get to 1000 yards or a 30mm tube may get you there with the off set inserts up front.